Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE
No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1733339] Thu, 26 May 2016 15:30 Go to next message
Vuk Lesi is currently offline Vuk LesiFriend
I am having an issue related to the Flip-Flop Tutorial under Windows. System monitoring and watch panel work after application is deployed (watched elements change in Debug view), but the console panel does not show any traces. I am launching FORTE locally from 4DIAC-IDE (version 1.8 ) and the console panel shows that FORTE is running. I can see that event counters are running but cannot get any trace information on exactly when events occur. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to overcome this problem? I have tried to follow the tutorial step by step more than once and it seems like I am still missing something.

I am sorry if this is a problem solved already, the forum has many topics but I could not find any exact matches with a first search. I would appreciate being directed to the right place.

Thanks to all.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1733363 is a reply to message #1733339] Thu, 26 May 2016 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi, if you are using the prebuilt version of FORTE which comes with 4DIAC-IDE the event tracing on the console is deactivated. The reason for this is that the first of all event tracing clutters the console a lot and can lead that more important messages are not shown. Furthermore this logging feature is rather slow and therefore degrades the performance of your control application.

If you want to have tracing enabled you need to build your own FORTE (please see the docs for details on this) and activate in the advanced section of the FORTE CMake properties the option FORTE_TRACE_EVENTS.

Cheers,
Alois
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1734065 is a reply to message #1733363] Fri, 03 June 2016 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much for a quick reply.

I am able to follow instructions on how to compile FORTE from source with CMake, but it seems like I am not able to obtain an executable file whose path I can just set in 4DIAC to be used in stead of the default precompiled FORTE. Am I expecting the right thing?

The other question that I have is the following: If event tracing is slowing down the application and is generally not recommended to be left enabled, is there any other (better) way to obtain the trace of events so that the distributed behavior and execution semantics could be easily extracted for a certain function block network? EDIT: What I am really trying to ask is whether or not event tracing can have any effect on the semantics of execution.

Thank you very much for your help.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2016 15:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1734184 is a reply to message #1734065] Sun, 05 June 2016 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

the executable should be located in a directory "src" in your bin directory.

Tracing may have an effect if you have several threads in parallel then because of tracing it could be that the order of execution in the threads relative to each other is different (but after a second thought this may be corner cases and not happening often). But with in a thread the execution is always the same independent of the tracing enabled or disabled.

Cheers,
Alois
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1736991 is a reply to message #1734184] Tue, 05 July 2016 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After a break I came back to this and I'm still not managing to build FORTE from sources. I follow these instructions and additionally check the FORTE_TRACE_EVENTS options, but there's no executable file anywhere in the directory after CMake finishes generating.

Is there a step I'm missing?

Thank you very much for your help.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1737002 is a reply to message #1736991] Tue, 05 July 2016 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jose Maria Jesus Cabral Lassalle is currently offline Jose Maria Jesus Cabral LassalleFriend
CMake generates the files that would be used to compile the program, so you won't get any executable from CMake, just the configuration files. Once CMake generates the files, you should go to to the folder where exported (bin/win32 in windows) and execute the "make" command through the command line. This command will start compiling and at the end of it, if succeed, the executable called forte.exe (in windows) will be in the folder bin/win32/src/
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1737121 is a reply to message #1737002] Tue, 05 July 2016 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using CMake for the first time and I was expecting that CMake will do the compilation. With these instructions I was able to compile FORTE from sources.

Thanks all for helping.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2016 22:24]

Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1743495 is a reply to message #1733339] Fri, 16 September 2016 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello everyone,

I have a follow-up question on this issue. I can enable tracing in FORTE 1.8.M1 and see it working, but I'm not able to do it in the newest release FORTE 1.8 by performing the same steps. Am I missing an additional step here? I can see all information while monitoring in 4DIAC IDE but no events appear on the console.

Thanks all for helping.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1743537 is a reply to message #1743495] Fri, 16 September 2016 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

during the testing between 1.8 M1 and the final 1.8 release we noticed that logging and tracing takes quite some resources. Therefore we decided that loging will be disabled in the default release build.
In order to enable it you need to set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to Debug telling the build system you like to have a debug build.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1743599 is a reply to message #1743537] Fri, 16 September 2016 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot for a quick reply! It works now!
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1743625 is a reply to message #1743599] Sat, 17 September 2016 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Great. But please note that logging and tracing severely impacts the performance of your control application.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761003 is a reply to message #1743537] Fri, 05 May 2017 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jiahang Chen is currently offline Jiahang ChenFriend
Hey, can u pls tell me how can i set CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE ?
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761010 is a reply to message #1743537] Fri, 05 May 2017 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello,
i did all the suggestion but the console still doesn't show anything

i have activated in the advanced section of the FORTE CMake properties the option FORTE_TRACE_EVENTS. And set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to debug.

What did i forget to do?
  • Attachment: 2.PNG
    (Size: 211.00KB, Downloaded 169 times)
  • Attachment: 3.PNG
    (Size: 151.30KB, Downloaded 149 times)
  • Attachment: 4.PNG
    (Size: 209.81KB, Downloaded 157 times)
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761017 is a reply to message #1761010] Fri, 05 May 2017 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

could you be so kind and post us your cmakecache.txt which contains your cmake configuration.

I forgot to mentioin that you may have to set the build type value to Debug with upercase D. Furthermore when you build the debug mode then the output should be in the debug directory and not in release.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2017 10:02]

Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761022 is a reply to message #1761017] Fri, 05 May 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, thanks for your quick answer.
i have added the code myself in the last line.
it is:
set(CMAKE_BULT_TYPE Debug CACHE STRING "set build type to debug")

now i am using the Forte and 4diac IDE both of 1.8.3
  • Attachment: CMakeLists.txt
    (Size: 14.32KB, Downloaded 123 times)
    (Size: 99.88KB, Downloaded 173 times)
  • Attachment: 3.PNG
    (Size: 90.56KB, Downloaded 134 times)
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761043 is a reply to message #1761022] Fri, 05 May 2017 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirill Dorofeev is currently offline Kirill DorofeevFriend
Hi, the flag name should be CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE.. and, once again repeating what Alois wrote before, be sure you're running the executable, you're building, i.e. one from Debug folder by default. Just tried to build 1.8.3 from scratch with VS, it worked for me.
Hope it solves the issue.
  • Attachment: forte.png
    (Size: 33.25KB, Downloaded 146 times)
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761068 is a reply to message #1761043] Fri, 05 May 2017 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Please don't add this option by yourself. All cmake options prefixed with CMAKE are cmake default options which are coming from the cmake system itself. Cmake stores a specific configuration with your setup in a file called CMakeCache.txt in your build directory. You can open this file and edit the options if you want to change the configuration. for make based builds then running make should correctly use these options. I don't have so much experience with VS therefore I don't know if this is the case also for VS.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761082 is a reply to message #1761068] Sat, 06 May 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot for ur answer.
Now Forte 1.8.3 can run, but i still have the Problem, in 4diac i can't see any values during the monitoring. All the values still show N/A.
Its so strange. that i did the same with forte 1.6.2 and IDE 1.6.2 and i could see the values.
i post the Screenshot of system configuration.
Would you be so kind again to help me?
  • Attachment: 1.PNG
    (Size: 728.63KB, Downloaded 168 times)
    (Size: 657.96KB, Downloaded 156 times)
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761108 is a reply to message #1761082] Sat, 06 May 2017 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thaks for the figure of the system configuration. I think the problem is that, as said above, you have two devices on with the ID "localhost:61499" (Steuerung and Control). As this is not allowed from a TCP point of view even if you are only running one of the both we can not handle this in the monitoring code. By changing the port of one of the both.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761118 is a reply to message #1761108] Sun, 07 May 2017 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks now it works in 1.8.3
but its too strange, that the values can be monitored in 1.6.2 even if i had the same port of 2 different device.
Re: No trace info in Debug mode in 4DIAC-IDE [message #1761163 is a reply to message #1761118] Mon, 08 May 2017 12:35 Go to previous message

Great that it works now. The reason for the difference is that 1.6.2 made it accidentally correct. However this could lead to other unwanted and even worse wrong situiations. With the clean-up of the monitoring code in 1.8.x we had to change the behvaior. Although that this lead to an overall more stable code this special situation is now not possible anymore.
Previous Topic:Unsupported Type during Deploying
Next Topic:Developing distributed application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:46:43 GMT 2024