Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Code Recommenders » Too many irrelevant completion proposals(Completion proposals are not constrained by the expected type, which results in many not applicable proposals)
Too many irrelevant completion proposals [message #1733337] Thu, 26 May 2016 14:46 Go to next message
Alex Boyko is currently offline Alex BoykoFriend
List<String> l = new A<Ctrl-Space> results in many proposals that are not subclasses of java.util.List.
Is there any way to trim the proposal results down to sub-classes of the expected type?

There is a TypeCompletionSessionProcessor that creates index of subtypes. Perhaps it'd be good for this session processor to filter out irrelevant type proposals. This behaviour could be triggered with some new preference setting for instance.

I've tried to contribute my own SessionProvider to filter out irrelevant proposals not matching the expected type. However, I didn't have access to the index from TypeCompletionSessionProcessor and used IType#newTypeHierarchy(...) instead. Hence, I feel that my solution might be premature and resolving this in the core in TypeCompletionSessionProcessor is more appropriate.

Any thoughts on this? Perhaps the behaviour is already implemented and I just failed to turn it on...

[Updated on: Thu, 26 May 2016 16:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Too many irrelevant completion proposals [message #1733356 is a reply to message #1733337] Thu, 26 May 2016 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Sewe is currently offline Andreas SeweFriend
Quote:
List<String> l = new A<Ctrl-Space> results in many proposals that are not subclasses of java.util.List.
Is there any way to trim the proposal results down to sub-classes of the expected type?

Just checking that I understand you correctly: Once the Subtypes-Completion Processor has computed its index and the type on the left hand side has been imported (i.e., the IDE knows that it's a java.util.List that is needed), content assist lists the subtypes of List first (marked with a star), but below you also find non-subtypes.

If so, then this is the intended behavior of the Subtypes-Completion Processor (or any other completion processor): It can reorder proposals, but won't remove them.

Or does the reordering fail to work for you? If so, please open a bug.

Quote:
I've tried to contribute my own SessionProvider to filter out irrelevant proposals not matching the expected type. However, I didn't have access to the index from TypeCompletionSessionProcessor and used IType#newTypeHierarchy(...) instead. Hence, I feel that my solution might be premature and resolving this in the core in TypeCompletionSessionProcessor is more appropriate.

That being said, AFAIK it is possible with the SessionProcessor API to remove proposals, although we don't and I certainly wouldn't enable such a feature by default, as it's very easy to annoy users by this.

Hope this helps. And yes, if you are willing to contribute code for this, we should discuss this further in Bugzilla.

Best wishes.

Andreas
Re: Too many irrelevant completion proposals [message #1733374 is a reply to message #1733356] Fri, 27 May 2016 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the reply, Andreas.

Yes, the non-subtypes listed below is something i don't particularly like. The order looks correct as subtypes are at the top of the list.
In other words Code Recommenders would never remove the original proposals returned by the JDT, but would rather reorder them and/or add new proposals. Is that a correct statement?

What about List<String> l = new <Ctrl-Space>. This doesn't list subtype constructors. Looks like a JDT limitation to me (if I'm not mistaken), however, is that something i can request Code Recommenders to support?
Re: Too many irrelevant completion proposals [message #1733390 is a reply to message #1733374] Fri, 27 May 2016 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Boyko wrote on Thu, 26 May 2016 23:54
Thanks very much for the reply, Andreas.

Yes, the non-subtypes listed below is something i don't particularly like. The order looks correct as subtypes are at the top of the list.
In other words Code Recommenders would never remove the original proposals returned by the JDT, but would rather reorder them and/or add new proposals. Is that a correct statement?

Yes, that's correct.

More precisely, we only reorder Java proposals returned by JDT, but don't add new Java proposals; we only add meta-proposals like "Code Recommenders is enabled".

Quote:
What about List<String> l = new <Ctrl-Space>. This doesn't list subtype constructors. Looks like a JDT limitation to me (if I'm not mistaken), however, is that something i can request Code Recommenders to support?

Yes, this is a JDT limitation. JDT returns only type/constructor proposals when there is a non-zero prefix, so we can only reorder them in those cases.

Given the above, the feature request should go to JDT; AFAIK, they refrain from returning type/constructor proposals for performance reasons (as they don't do any subtype check, JDT would return all types/constructors on an empty prefix). Given that JDT has seen some improvements around its own indexes recently, this may be implementable efficiently now, so I suggest you ask them.
Re: Too many irrelevant completion proposals [message #1733456 is a reply to message #1733390] Fri, 27 May 2016 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your answers Andreas, much appreciated.

One more thing that I wanted to ask. Is there something for Quick Fix in Code Recommenders to reorder quick fixes suggested by JDT? Something similar to SessionProcessors for quick fix proposals?
Re: Too many irrelevant completion proposals [message #1733457 is a reply to message #1733456] Fri, 27 May 2016 16:48 Go to previous message
Alex Boyko wrote on Fri, 27 May 2016 12:44
Thanks for your answers One more thing that I wanted to ask. Is there something for Quick Fix in Code Recommenders to reorder quick fixes suggested by JDT? Something similar to SessionProcessors for quick fix proposals?

I'm afraid not. The engineering effort that went into SessionProcessors was significant, as JDT didn't foresee the use case that plugins want to adjust a proposal's relevance after it has been created.

I'm not sure whether something similar is easier, harder, or feasible at all, but if you want to give it a shot, the recommenders-dev mailing list is certainly there to help you.
Previous Topic:Code completion code style
Next Topic:Help shape our roadmap for Eclipse Photon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:35:39 GMT 2024