Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)?
Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)? [message #1733302] Thu, 26 May 2016 03:00 Go to next message
Holger Voormann is currently offline Holger VoormannFriend
JGit supports Large File Storage (LFS) since 4.3.
Is it possible to use LFS via EGit?
Re: Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)? [message #1733536 is a reply to message #1733302] Sun, 29 May 2016 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
yes:

- git-lfs needs to be installed and configured
- git-lfs needs to be on the PATH seen by Eclipse
- pre-push hook on Windows requires cygwin
Re: Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)? [message #1733554 is a reply to message #1733536] Mon, 30 May 2016 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holger Voormann is currently offline Holger VoormannFriend
Thanks for the answer.

Does these requirements also apply to JGit?

Is there also a command line Git required (not only Eclipse with embedded EGit/JGit)?

Are there plans to support LFS in Eclipse without the need to install anything else?

What does the support currently look like? Are there additional menus? Or are the LFS pointer files replaced by the large files in the working directory only?
Re: Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)? [message #1734070 is a reply to message #1733554] Fri, 03 June 2016 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
All this is implemented in JGit.

EGit and JGit do not require native git command line, but git-lfs will call it, so it needs to be installed
and on the path if you want to use EGit/JGit with git-lfs.

We are working on a built-in implementation of git-lfs in JGit. Our goal is to allow using LFS without external
git-lfs extension and native git.

If git-lfs is installed, configured and on the path JGit will call the git filters implemented by git-lfs and run the git-lfs pre-push hook.
All LFS specific functionality is implemented in git-lfs which runs outside Eclipse, JGit just integrates with it.
Re: Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)? [message #1786322 is a reply to message #1733536] Mon, 30 April 2018 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan Ollos is currently offline Ryan OllosFriend
Matthias Sohn wrote on Sun, 29 May 2016 22:19
yes:

- git-lfs needs to be on the PATH seen by Eclipse

How does on edit the PATH seen by Eclipse? My git-lfs is in /usr/local/bin, which is on my shell path but not my Eclipse path.

I've posted the question on StackOverflow as well and seen no responses.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2018 23:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does EGit support Large File Storage (LFS)? [message #1786612 is a reply to message #1786322] Tue, 08 May 2018 12:21 Go to previous message
Marcel Wagner is currently offline Marcel WagnerFriend
I have also problems getting LFS working. I use Eclipse 4.7.3a and EGIT 4.11 on Windows 7. The optinal LFS support is also installed.
git-lfs is working fine from the command line (path is correct) and TortoiseGit is also working fine. The git server is GitLab.
It is not possible to check in binary files with LFS from Eclipse. They are always checked in the normal repository, killing the repo after some time (we have large binary files).

To get more info, can I enble trace output somewhere? It seems LFS is ignored completely.

Regrads,
Marcel
Previous Topic:Help - Can't push to GitHub
Next Topic:Eclipse Copy/Paste a project under local git control.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:03:55 GMT 2024