Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OM2M » Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee)
Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1733140] Tue, 24 May 2016 17:49 Go to next message
Klemen Petrovcic is currently offline Klemen PetrovcicFriend
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me, how should we write IPU plugins for non IP enabled devices like Zwave or ZigBee.

One of the problems I see is that these technologies have shorter frames, so (at least ZigBee) has to use packet fragmentation to deliver the whole message. This means, we cant use the same XML bodies like at the HTTP protocol.

I'm thinking of defining my own protocol with shorter messages, which will convey the important parts of the message to the gateway so it knows which operation is being executed and what variables to use (for example, at ZigBee I could pass: "op=1; X-M2M-Origin: admin:admin;X-M2M-NM: MY_SENSOR" to create an AE entity).

What if I have a closed Zwave device? I can't change it's program logic, but I can include it in the network and receive its supported command classes. Is there a correct way to map those classes and the devices info to the OM2M platform?

Thanks in advance for your help, as always!

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2016 17:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1741518 is a reply to message #1733140] Thu, 25 August 2016 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yoshida takuma is currently offline yoshida takumaFriend
Hi Klemen,

I also have same questions as you when I would like to know how to connect legacy devices such as Zigbee or Zwave to OM2M platform. Did you solve this problem, if yes can you give me some hints please?

Thank you very much for your help!
Yoshida
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1741678 is a reply to message #1741518] Sat, 27 August 2016 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Yoshida,

Yes, I created two sample plugins for these two technologies. For the Zwave technology I used the zwave4j library, for the ZigBee technology I used the Xbee library. Since the OneM2M specifications don't specify the mapping for these two technologies I implemented two custom IPU plugins, with only basic functionality.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2016 08:51]

Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1741738 is a reply to message #1741678] Mon, 29 August 2016 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yoshida takuma is currently offline yoshida takumaFriend
Hi Klemen,

thanks a lot for your quickly response. I am new and have not much expererience in ZigBee or Zwave and my question might sounds noob but I still can not imagine how that we connect the ZigBee devices and OM2M platform via IPU plugin. If this ZigBee can talk with IP then we can use HTTP or CoAP to talk with OM2M, then we dont need to use IPU plugin anymore. Am I right? Can you please clarify for me this point?

Thank you and have a nice starting week!
Yoshida
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1742644 is a reply to message #1741738] Tue, 06 September 2016 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Son Duong is currently offline Son DuongFriend
Hello Klemen,

I also have the same question as Yoshida above. For example that we have an xbee module that used to transmit some data get from the temperature sensor, how can we transfer this data to an IPU plugin to be used in OM2M?

Best regards
Son
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1742906 is a reply to message #1742644] Thu, 08 September 2016 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Son Duong,

I used two xbee pro modules. The two modules have to be configured, before writing the IPU plugin, appropriately with the X-CTU tool (you have to set at least the role, destination address, I/O configuration, serial connection parameters, API mode 2). You have to set one module as an end node or a routing node, and the other as a network coordinator. You will find a few beginner tutorials on the Sparkfun page.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 14:16]

Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1742907 is a reply to message #1742906] Thu, 08 September 2016 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Klemen,

it's cool! And may I ask that what was the use case that you made with these XBee modules?

Best regards
Son
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1742946 is a reply to message #1742907] Thu, 08 September 2016 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was only interested in finding a way to incorporate those modules in the OM2M platform with no specific use case in mind.
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1742995 is a reply to message #1742946] Fri, 09 September 2016 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok thank you so much, Klemen!
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1752954 is a reply to message #1742995] Tue, 31 January 2017 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Douge is currently offline Ivan DougeFriend
Hi Klemen,

I'm currently trying to understand the way to make the link between my xbee module and a zigbee IPU. For the moment, i have an arduino board sending data over zigbee to my raspberry where i got my om2m gateway. I'm able to retrieve the data on my rasp with a simple c code but i have no idea on how to push this data to the IPU.

I created an IPU on a distant computer because the eclipse software (luna version) is not available on the raspberry.

Can you give me some advice please ?

Best regards
Ivan.
Re: Writing IPU plugins for non ip enabled technologies (Zwave, ZigBee) [message #1783581 is a reply to message #1752954] Wed, 14 March 2018 11:16 Go to previous message
Umar Farooq is currently offline Umar FarooqFriend
Hi Ivan,

Did you figure out the solution to your problem? if yes, would you mind sharing how you went about it?

Best Regards,
Umar Farooq
Previous Topic: Eclipse OM2M v1.3.0
Next Topic:Send data from gateway(mn) to server(in)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:00:51 GMT 2024