Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Any plans to support DS 1.3 in Equinox
Any plans to support DS 1.3 in Equinox [message #1731939] Wed, 11 May 2016 08:23 Go to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Hi,

AFAIK Equinox implements the OSGi R6 (with Mars?) spec. At least this is what [1] says. Am I correct with that?

Now I wonder if there are any plans to update the compendium components also. Mostly interesting seems to be DS 1.3 and probably Metatype (because of the typed configurations). Not sure about ConfigurationAdmin regarding the updates of components.

Greez,
Dirk

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSGi_Specification_Implementations
Re: Any plans to support DS 1.3 in Equinox [message #1731983 is a reply to message #1731939] Wed, 11 May 2016 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
Metatype and ConfigAdmin services are up to the latest specifications as of OSGi R6. The DS implementation is falling woefully behind. I think it is passed time to drop its implementation in favor of pulling in the felix implementation of DS.

On a side note, the framework implemented OSGi R6 in the Luna release.
Re: Any plans to support DS 1.3 in Equinox [message #1732002 is a reply to message #1731983] Wed, 11 May 2016 15:17 Go to previous message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Ah, I have only found this list on stackoverflow that lists the specifications: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19568803/which-version-of-osgi-is-implemented-by-which-version-of-eclipse-equinox

Maybe it needs to be edited then?

And regarding the specifications of ConfigurationAdmin and MetaType, so the Wiki page is outdated right? I think the official Equinox webpage is also quite outdated, as it says that everything is implemented for OSGi R4, which is then also not correct IIUC? https://www.eclipse.org/equinox/bundles/

Quote:
The DS implementation is falling woefully behind. I think it is passed time to drop its implementation in favor of pulling in the felix implementation of DS.

I played around with DS in Felix and Equinox the past weeks (you might have noticed Wink ). I'm not sure how much effort it would be to bring Equinox DS to 1.3. Or if the way to go is to use Felix SCR. I think that is a project discussion and somehow political, right? But AFAICS there are already Felix SCR sources in Equinox DS. And the Equinox console also uses Felix Gogo. So why not?
Previous Topic:e4 selfupdate
Next Topic:Creating custom product/site/repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:25:01 GMT 2024