Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to properly install and use the C(++) IDE?
How to properly install and use the C(++) IDE? [message #1731871] Tue, 10 May 2016 15:05 Go to next message
Igor Berezhnoi is currently offline Igor BerezhnoiFriend
Hi, I just installed Eclipse for C/C++ after I have been already using Eclipse for Java. According to the description, the download includes C/C++ development tools.

Now, though the C/C++ IDE was integrated into Eclipse, enabling me to use both Java and C/C++, it doesn't seem that I can work with it. I can switch between Java and C/C++ IDE, but can't create projects or classes in C but only in Java.

I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit if it's relevant.

Downloaded it here: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-cc-developers/keplersr2
Re: How to properly install and use the C(++) IDE? [message #1731902 is a reply to message #1731871] Tue, 10 May 2016 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Berezhnoi is currently offline Igor BerezhnoiFriend
Edit: I installed the MinGW installer but nothing changed. Maybe I need to change some Environment variables?

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2016 17:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to properly install and use the C(++) IDE? [message #1731914 is a reply to message #1731902] Tue, 10 May 2016 20:45 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
I think I will need some more information to answer your question. If CDT (short for C/C++ Development Tools) is installed but you don't have new project wizards for C project (File -> New -> Other... -> C/C++ Category -> C Project) can you add some details about how you know you have it installed.

If I was setting up a dev environment that had both JDT (short for Java Development Tools) and CDT I would start by downloading eclipse-java-mars (https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/mars/2/eclipse-java-mars-2-win32-x86_64.zip) and then once unzipped, in the Help menu -> Install New Software choose Work With "Mars" and then select "C/C++ Development Tools" + any other useful stuff you wanted.

You will need a GCC and GDB (From Mingw or other) to actually compile and debug project. But having or not having mingw will not affect whether you can created C projects in the first place.

As an aside, since you are starting fresh with something, I recommend you start with the most recent release version of Eclipse/CDT which is Mars: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-cc-developers/mars2 sorry that the naming doesn't make that obvious, we, as a community, are working on it. (BTW in June the most recent release version will be Neon!)
Previous Topic:struct initialization dialect not recognized by Eclipse CDT
Next Topic:CDT Indexer Path Wildcard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:55:37 GMT 2024