Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Open Workspace doesn't load project(When I try to open a pre-existing workspace it doesn't load the project.)
Open Workspace doesn't load project [message #1731755] Mon, 09 May 2016 22:12 Go to next message
Frank Troglauer is currently offline Frank TroglauerFriend
I am in need of some assistance. I am currently using Windows 10 64 bit and Eclipse Mars. When I open an existing workspace that has a project in it it doesn't load the resources into the pane on the left side of the window. Here is a link to a video where I show the issue. Any assistance is appreciated!

youtu.be/1XkNV13nmnE
Re: Open Workspace doesn't load project [message #1731758 is a reply to message #1731755] Mon, 09 May 2016 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Just as the workspace directory contains a .metadata directory that describes its contents, if those are existing Eclipse Java projects, there should be both .project and .classpath files already present. If the guide you're following is specifically intended for Eclipse, the examples you have are broken.

My guess is that you told Eclipse to use that directory as the workspace, hoping that the subdirectories would automatically be treated as projects, and specifically as Java projects which have their source and output folders already configured. It doesn't work that way. You'll first want to create a new workspace somewhere else, preferably a fast, local disk. I'd discourage you from storing it in Dropbox as the workspace will often contain machine-specific information like where the JREs are installed. Then you'll want to create Java Projects as you go through the examples, copying the example sources into the project's source folder so that the Java package names are properly recognized.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Open Workspace doesn't load project [message #1731867 is a reply to message #1731758] Tue, 10 May 2016 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
To put it another way, you're confusing Workspace with Project. What you have are raw project files, you need to create an Eclipse Project from them, and that Project is hosted in a Workspace.
I've explained this a few times, here and here (and the Eclipse Help has good explanation here). Start by understanding those concepts, then try importing the sources you have into Eclipse via File > Import > Java Project. If you get specific problems there, come back and ask about those.
Re: Open Workspace doesn't load project [message #1834852 is a reply to message #1731867] Thu, 19 November 2020 06:44 Go to previous message
Hemavathi S is currently offline Hemavathi SFriend
Hi,

I need a assistant for workspace, i was imported projects from old workspace. when i am creating a new project in my new workspace it is always storing in old workspace. please anyone assist on this?

thanks,
Previous Topic:Convention for persisting data in workspace other than project
Next Topic:Problem with my Workspace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:34:10 GMT 2024