Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse
If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1730551] Tue, 26 April 2016 15:45 Go to next message
Cristian Falcas is currently offline Cristian FalcasFriend
I updated my eclipse installation and ever since I can't manage to do any commits.

When I try to commit by clicking "Commit..." from the menu, only a git staging view is opened.

If I click here on "Commit and Push...", I get an error message: "There are no staged files".

Is there any possibility to revert to the old window when committing?

Or help me to do proper commits from here Smile
Re: If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1730579 is a reply to message #1730551] Tue, 26 April 2016 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
The default for committing is now the staging view, first stage the files you want to commit
via drag&drop to the staged changes pane and then hit the commit or commit&push button.

You can switch back to the commit dialog here
"Preferences > Team > Git > Committing > Use Staging View to commit instead of Commit Dialog"

Note that we plan to remove the commit dialog in a later version.
Re: If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1730624 is a reply to message #1730579] Wed, 27 April 2016 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cristian Falcas is currently offline Cristian FalcasFriend
Thank you very much.
Re: If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1740080 is a reply to message #1730551] Tue, 09 August 2016 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan How is currently offline Ryan HowFriend
Just as a note: I like the old commit dialog better. Mainly the checkboxes. And I find the new one a bit glitchy. Sometimes I try to stage files and instead they open in an external editor.
Re: If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1740401 is a reply to message #1740080] Fri, 12 August 2016 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They may open in an external editor on double click if
* the file type isn't associated to an editor in Eclipse
* and the file type is associated to an external editor in the operating system
* and the "Compare Mode" in the staging view is off

File type associations can be configured in "Preferences > General > Editor > File Associations"
Re: If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1740414 is a reply to message #1740401] Fri, 12 August 2016 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan How is currently offline Ryan HowFriend
Thanks. I figured that. I just still find it unintuitive. The default action is to open files and then dragging to stage. There isn't a "Move All" button?. I have to shift click and drag.

And it opens in a tab for me, and the tab doesn't seem to become active when I click commit. So I end up going to have to hunt for it (Not sure if that's a bug or by design).

It's almost to the point for me personally to move to using an external tool for commits. I know the old dialog can be re-instated, but I think it the staging view needs some usability improvements before removing the old dialog.
Re: If I hit commit, only a "git staging" view is opened in eclipse [message #1740607 is a reply to message #1740414] Tue, 16 August 2016 08:02 Go to previous message
We didn't remove the commit dialog immediately in order to first gather user feedback Wink
Please file bugs for the improvements you'd like to see.
Previous Topic:directories to organize branches
Next Topic:validate in pre-receive
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:57:36 GMT 2024