Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Correct process for renaming projects imported from git?
Correct process for renaming projects imported from git? [message #1730012] Wed, 20 April 2016 21:07 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Today I tried to do some "simple" refactoring of the Eclipse plugin project I work on. I was working on a branch specifically for this change. I had to globally change the package and org from the existing name to another.

The first thing I tried to do was rename the projects. This seemed to work fine, until I got to the last project, and it somehow failed to rename, leaving the project closed in the workspace, but actually nonexistent. At that point, I tried to completely abort, stashing my changes and switching back to master. Unfortunately, it appears that renaming projects only works in one direction. When I did the rename from Eclipse, I think it might have changed the underlying directory name (although I didn't confirm this), but when I aborted and switched back to master, the directory names were their original names, but the workspace names were not.

I'm thinking that the only "safe" way to do this is to delete my workspace projects (not the contents), rename the directories outside of Eclipse, and then reimport the projects. Is this what I have to do?
Re: Correct process for renaming projects imported from git? [message #1730015 is a reply to message #1730012] Wed, 20 April 2016 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
can you provide steps to reproduce for a small sample project ?
Re: Correct process for renaming projects imported from git? [message #1730016 is a reply to message #1730015] Wed, 20 April 2016 22:14 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I suppose that's possible, but that would be very labor-intensive. Is there a selection of "dummy" or "simple" plugin projects that I could use to test this? In any case, I verified that deleting all of the projects, then renaming directories, files, and file references outside of Eclipse (Emacs keyboard macros is handy for this), and then reimporting existing projects in Eclipse was a successful strategy, at least for resolving that problem.
Previous Topic:EGit 4.4 available?
Next Topic:Team Project Set to add local repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:55:17 GMT 2024