Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » declare git repository as a photran project(photran + egit)
declare git repository as a photran project [message #1729984] Wed, 20 April 2016 16:24 Go to next message
Simon Unterstraßer is currently offline Simon UnterstraßerFriend
I am using Eclipse for the first time and I fear I do not quite understand how everything works.

I have an existing fortran program with around 30 source files which is stored as Git repository in Gitlab.

Using Egit I could make a local clone the repository and could even pull a new version from GitLab.

I would like to use the refactoring tools of Photran. However, they do not show up.
Switching just to "Fortran perspective" seems not to be enough.

When I cloned the repository first, I somehow imported as a "project".
Maybe I missed at that point to tell Eclipse that I want to use Photran for this project.

Thanks in advance for giving me an initial boost.
Simon

Re: declare git repository as a photran project [message #1730003 is a reply to message #1729984] Wed, 20 April 2016 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
When you import a project you need to do so as a Photran project. Although I don't know much about Photran, I'm pretty sure that's the reason you're not getting the features you expect.
For further details on how to do that, note that the Photran project uses a mailing list to support its community, not these forums. See https://www.eclipse.org/photran/mailinglists.php
Re: declare git repository as a photran project [message #1730080 is a reply to message #1730003] Thu, 21 April 2016 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eric

seems like you have to declare the repository as photran project during the import.
But how can I do this? I tested many ways.

The most promising I found:
1. ) I make a local clone of the GitLab repository into subfolder A.
2.) I create a fortran project in subfolder B.

Following
https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide/Getting_Started

3.) right-click on the fortran project name, select "Team -> Git -> ..."
I was succesful to associate the project with the repository.
Eclipse even moves subfolder B into subfolder A.

If I use the Git perspective, the repository and all its files are shown in the "Git Repositories Views". In this perspective the refactoring tools are not available.

When I switch to the Fortran perspective, the view "Project Explorer" contains the project B (it also indicates that it is linked to a repository). While the button "refactor" exists now, no source files are listed in this view. I tried "Customize View", but I cannot select *.F90 in this dialog box. It rather appears like the file extensions are related to C.

Related to this: Why are .h includes listed within this project? Project B is clearly a fortran project, not a C project!

Thanks for any hints,
Simon

p.s.: I am using Kepler version with Egit 4.3

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2016 10:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: declare git repository as a photran project [message #1730116 is a reply to message #1730080] Thu, 21 April 2016 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Like I said, Photran has a separate mailing list for support.
Re: declare git repository as a photran project [message #1730125 is a reply to message #1730116] Thu, 21 April 2016 14:40 Go to previous message
I could solve the problem.

I import the GitLab repository first. At that time the project is of general type.
Click "File -> New -> Other .. -> Convert to a C/C++ Project"
Once this conversion is finished, right-click on the project name and choose "Convert to Fortran project".
And eventually one ends up with a Fortran project!

Previous Topic:not showing the background image
Next Topic:Now that we have Linux convergence with BQ Aquaris M10...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:57:42 GMT 2024