Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Strange Crash OSX(Eclipse Strange Crash OSX)
Eclipse Strange Crash OSX [message #1728946] Fri, 08 April 2016 14:42 Go to next message
Sean Clark is currently offline Sean ClarkFriend
Short Story -- upgraded my mac to el capitan - Eclipse stopped working.
Always crashed with:

C [libobjc.A.dylib+0x14dd] objc_msgSend+0x1d

So I've searched google, high and low. Tried many different eclipse versions (4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, direct download, homebrew install) (I even tried bing, because on google, all the first three pages were already clicked from my fruitless searches)

Tried different JVM's. All end up with the crash. The odd thing is, if i use a different 'user' on my mac - he is fine running Eclipse. So i tried removing all apps that were running, making the 'bad' userid have same ENV as 'good' user - with no luck. Install Legacy Java for Mac. Uninstall it. Change plist so 'new' JRE provides stuff. nothing.

I can not seem to figure out what is causing the conflict - and was hoping someone knows what ENV/app could cause this crash.

I've attached the crash file as well.... hoping someone sees something.

Re: Eclipse Strange Crash OSX [message #1728993 is a reply to message #1728946] Sat, 09 April 2016 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You've tried a 1.8 JDK?

On 08.04.2016 23:21, Sean Clark wrote:
> Short Story -- upgraded my mac to el capitan - Eclipse stopped working.
> Always crashed with:
>
> C [libobjc.A.dylib+0x14dd] objc_msgSend+0x1d
>
> So I've searched google, high and low. Tried many different eclipse versions (4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, direct download, homebrew install) (I even tried bing, because on google, all the first three pages were already clicked from my fruitless searches)
>
> Tried different JVM's. All end up with the crash. The odd thing is, if i use a different 'user' on my mac - he is fine running Eclipse. So i tried removing all apps that were running, making the 'bad' userid have same ENV as 'good' user - with no luck. Install Legacy Java for Mac. Uninstall it. Change plist so 'new' JRE provides stuff. nothing.
>
> I can not seem to figure out what is causing the conflict - and was hoping someone knows what ENV/app could cause this crash.
>
> I've attached the crash file as well.... hoping someone sees something.
>
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Strange Crash OSX [message #1729021 is a reply to message #1728993] Sat, 09 April 2016 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep.

Like i said, it's something specific to my userid - I created the user 'whatever' and eclipse works fine for that. I just can't tell - i went so far as to do a ps, and kill any proc that was not running for the alternate user that worked - i can't seem to see what setting/ENV variable could be causing things.

Occurs with Luna or Mars also. The only thing i know is that it stopped working when I updated to El capitain - prior to that it was working fine.
Re: Eclipse Strange Crash OSX [message #1729157 is a reply to message #1729021] Mon, 11 April 2016 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Just to be absolutely clear, have you installed the 1.8 JDK (not the JRE) and instructed Eclipse to use it in eclipse.ini?
Re: Eclipse Strange Crash OSX [message #1729163 is a reply to message #1729157] Mon, 11 April 2016 15:47 Go to previous message
1.8.0_77, x86_64: "Java SE 8" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home (java_home list)
<string>-vm></string><string>/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_77.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java</string> (Info.plist)
yields a crash (attached)

I've tried older, 1.7 -- like i said the strange thing is, a Different user on my macbook will launch it fine. So something in my environment is conflicting with SWT -- i removed ALL homebrew, and was still having same issues. That's why i am wondering what can cause issues interacting.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2016 15:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Can I use wildcards in User LIbrary jars?
Next Topic:How do I write code and create a new task?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:31:21 GMT 2024