Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Default Channels on Things (Expose Thing status as a default Channel on each Thing)
Default Channels on Things [message #1728828] Thu, 07 April 2016 17:07 Go to next message
Karel Goderis is currently offline Karel GoderisFriend
The PaperUI is capable of showing the exact status of a Thing, e.g. ONLINE,..., but the PaperUI is primarily for configuration purposes, not for really operating an ESH/OH environment that is configured through Sitemaps.

It would be beneficial to expose the state of a Thing as a Channel of that Thing, so that the state of the Thing can be displayed in other UI's or be exposed to the userspace (e.g. Rules). For example, have an indication that a hub or bridge for a certain technology is up and running, so that in case of a problem, that problem can be flagged to the user, and diagnosed consequently

We could imagine defining a set of Channels, with fixed names, that are available and enabled by default on any Thing, and that can be linked to Items and so forth

Any thoughts on this?
Re: Default Channels on Things [message #1728985 is a reply to message #1728828] Fri, 08 April 2016 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
My thoughts are in the other direction: Make Things available for sitemap widgets and within rules.
This is already discussed for the new sitemap concept here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1720692/?srch=sitemap#msg_1720692
and already in place for the new rule engine, see https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/blob/master/bundles/automation/org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.module.script.defaultscope/src/main/java/org/eclipse/smarthome/automation/module/script/defaultscope/internal/DefaultScriptScopeProvider.java#L153
Re: Default Channels on Things [message #1728996 is a reply to message #1728985] Sat, 09 April 2016 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok - that is even better!
K
Re: Default Channels on Things [message #1729013 is a reply to message #1728996] Sat, 09 April 2016 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@kai Just to prevent any (future) confusion, is there any work ongoing at your side in terms of bringing the automation stuff to the userland/rule-engine? FYI, I have a branch in the working (depends on the new scheduler infrastructure, hence the reason why I have not created the PR) that effectively migrates the Rule & Script infrastructure to use the Automation bundles. That way, only one type of underlying automation framework is used. I have not progressed as I need the scheduler, but I sense that maybe it is now a bit behind the most current Automation updates. You might want to have a look at https://github.com/kgoderis/smarthome/commits/scheduler-migration/bundles on how I did it, and provide feedback in terms of advancing it, holding it and so forth. Or integrate it in what is going on at your side. There are also a few PR of Johann that are pending in the same area, and which this stuff could be integrated with. Note that some of the commits are not good as the Scheduler infrastructure has changed in the meantime, the rest should, I hope, still be relevant
Re: Default Channels on Things [message #1729100 is a reply to message #1729013] Mon, 11 April 2016 08:00 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Karel, Yes, I planned to include the new rule engine as an "experimental" feature in the OH2 distro by the end of the month (after releasing a beta3).
I know that I owe Johann feedback on his PRs and I hope to find time to come back on them soon and move the whole rule infrastructure forward.
Btw, did you see that the scheduler PR is currently waiting for a small update from your side?
Previous Topic:Newbie: Key Differences Between Eclipse Smarthome, Kura and OM2M
Next Topic:subscribe all events
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:19:15 GMT 2024