Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported?
Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728165] Thu, 31 March 2016 12:56 Go to next message
Shawn Mitchell is currently offline Shawn MitchellFriend
I'm following along with Lorenzo's (awesome) book and I have my DSL and code generation all working fine, but now I'm trying to deploy it and I'm having a strange issue.

The book uses Buckminster to create a deployment and I can find references to this on line, but this wizard does not appear in my New -> Other menu at all. I have Buckminster installed and I am using Xtext 2.9.2, but there is no Xtext -> Continuous Integration item at all.

Am I missing a plugin somewhere maybe? I can't find any references or release notes saying that the feature was deprecated, so maybe it is my install; I figured I'd ask before I went to the hassle of reinstalling everything.

* I'm on Eclipse Mars.2 (the DSL distro) if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728169 is a reply to message #1728165] Thu, 31 March 2016 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Huebner is currently offline Dennis HuebnerFriend

2.9.x contains a new Wizard implementation that supports maven and gradle builds.
You should probably use the same Xtext version as described in the book, 2.8.x ?.

+Dennis Huebner

Get professional support from the Xtext committers at www.typefox.io
Re: Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728170 is a reply to message #1728169] Thu, 31 March 2016 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The book describes 2.7.x unfortunately but I believe there is another edition coming out this fall - I just can't wait that long. I've already upgraded everything to 2.9.x because the formatter changes alone make the whole thing worth it; I was just wondering if Buckminster was completely purged from the project in favour of Maven/Gradle. Also, I'd love to use Gradle but the wizard says that it doesn't support Eclipse plugins, which makes it a no-go for me. Thanks for the quick reply.
Re: Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728223 is a reply to message #1728170] Fri, 01 April 2016 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 31/03/2016 16:04, Shawn Mitchell wrote:
> The book describes 2.7.x unfortunately but I believe there is another
> edition coming out this fall - I just can't wait that long. I've already
> upgraded everything to 2.9.x because the formatter changes alone make
> the whole thing worth it; I was just wondering if Buckminster was
> completely purged from the project in favour of Maven/Gradle. Also, I'd
> love to use Gradle but the wizard says that it doesn't support Eclipse
> plugins, which makes it a no-go for me. Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi

indeed the new edition should be out this fall (if not before) and I
confirm that the new edition will describe the new Maven build
infrastructure. It's really sad that the Buckminster wizard was dropped
in Xtext 2.9.2. Please keep in mind that you could still use the wizard
from Xtext 2.8.4, at least to have the generation of the projects and
configuration files for Buckminster, and then switch to Xtext 2.9.2.

cheers
Lorenzo

--
Prof. Lorenzo Bettini, Computer Science, DISIA, Univ. Firenze
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it
Xtext Book:
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-domain-specific-languages-with-xtext-and-xtend/book

Re: Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728240 is a reply to message #1728170] Fri, 01 April 2016 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uli Merkel is currently offline Uli MerkelFriend
Hi Shawn,

the described buckminster works up to the lates 2.8 version of xtext.
So If you download Eclipse Mars.1 (not .2), you get the lates working BUCKMINSTER support.

Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany, Uli
Re: Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728266 is a reply to message #1728240] Fri, 01 April 2016 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the answers folks, very much appreciated. I checked the release notes and saw no mention of it getting dropped, just the new Maven/Gradle functionality was added. I wasn't sure if the upgrade failed silently or if the wizard was dropped. I guess it is time for me to dive into Maven...

Thanks again!
Re: Is the XText Buckminster wizard still available/supported? [message #1728474 is a reply to message #1728266] Mon, 04 April 2016 15:59 Go to previous message
Uli Merkel is currently offline Uli MerkelFriend
As I heard during itemis's "Xtext Training - From Zero to Hero",
Buckminster was "a hobby of a single person" and when they "cleared dead wood", it had, among others, to leave befor turning to 2.9.
As Shawn has stated, there was no official farewell party.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2016 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Tycho Maven antlr not found
Next Topic:Using Xtext embedded Editor how to synchronize back the changes ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:12:52 GMT 2024