Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » DSDP - Real-Time Software Components (RTSC) » Standalone Eclipse with ROV and GDB
Standalone Eclipse with ROV and GDB [message #1727400] Tue, 22 March 2016 17:34 Go to next message
Nick Borton is currently offline Nick BortonFriend
Hello,

I have been running a handful of projects with xdctools using my own toolchain. Is it possible to install ROV only into a standalone eclipse install and have it connect to my version of GDB?

Having the quick ROV window would speed up debugging quite a bit.

Thanks!
Re: Standalone Eclipse with ROV and GDB [message #1727418 is a reply to message #1727400] Tue, 22 March 2016 23:11 Go to previous message
Sasha Slijepcevic is currently offline Sasha SlijepcevicFriend
Nick,
ROV has a three components:
a) the generic part that transforms raw-memory data into a structured representation of module and instance objects,
b) a GUI that's built on a specific IDE support - CCS and IAR IDE are currently supported, and
c) a debugger interface that knows how to get raw data from a debugger, or any other kind of memory reader. We have that interface for debuggers in CCS and IAR IDE.
For your standalone Eclipse + GDB use case, both b) and c) are missing. For both b) and c), we are relying on DVT (http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/User:DVT/UserDocumentation/DVT_Overview), which is not, as far as I know, available separately from CCS. None of these is impossible to solve, but it would require an advanced knowledge of both ROV and Eclipse to implement what's needed. In case you want to get a better idea what I am talking about, you could start from the package xdc.rov.server, available in XDCtools. That's an implementation of b) and c) for CCS. If you wanted your own version, that's where you would start and then keep replacing various Java classes invoked in Main.js with your own versions.

I am not sure if I would recommend that approach though. On one hand, we realized that ROV could be a valuable tool for users who work outside of CCS, so we are working on a more modular version, but we won't be able to make it public for at least a couple of months. However, when it's out it will be much easier to adapt ROV for different environments. On the other hand, you would still need your implementation of xdc.rov.IMemoryImage interface regardless of the version of ROV.
Previous Topic:unloading a package and reloading it
Next Topic:IPeripheral and driver development
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:17:32 GMT 2024