Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse error after installing any new plugins ( )
Eclipse error after installing any new plugins [message #1726863] Thu, 17 March 2016 06:45 Go to next message
Chris Dunn is currently offline Chris DunnFriend
Hopefully someone can help.

I have the problem with all 3 Eclipse versions I tried so far, Mars1, Mars2 and Neon and on 3 different laptops (3 laptops are same specs: Alienware M18xR2, Win7Pro64, 32GB ddr4, dual sli nVidia 4GB, 512GB SSD primary drives and 1TB secondary drives). Installed JDK 64, JRE 64 and Eclipse 64 (all three Eclipse versions above give me the same problem). Then run the Ooomph install, do an update first. Everything runs fine. It updates and installs latest version. I select the first option Eclipse for Java Developper, it installs correctly and configures correctly. Start Eclipse, everything runs fine. Everything is functional to this point.

Then I open the "Install New Software" to add some addons/plugins from the repositories. Look through the repositories and select what I need. The first few times I selected everything I required (BIRT, Database etc...). Downloaded and installed and restarted. Error See Logfile xxxxxxxxxx.log. Deleted everything and reinstalled. Selected only a few addons/plugins, same thing. Deleted and reinstalled everything again, selected only one addon/plugin, same thing. Error see log file. I don't get an error code that I can see, just error dialog box pointing to the .log file.

I attached the last error log, can't see what I'm missing. Thanks for any help

Edit to add: I've also tried the 32 bit versions (JDK, JRE, Eclipse) as well with same results, and gone through the "install, delete, clean and reinstall" process over 30 times so far before posting this note

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2016 07:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse error after installing any new plugins [message #1726871 is a reply to message #1726863] Thu, 17 March 2016 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Chris,

I've tried it on my Win7 box but cannot reproduce your problem. What is the add-on feature you're trying to install and
from where are you installing it?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Am 17.03.2016 um 07:59 schrieb Chris Dunn:
> Hopefully someone can help.
>
> I have the problem with all 3 Eclipse versions I tried so far, Mars1, Mars2 and Neon and on 3 different laptops (3 laptops are same specs: Alienware M18xR2, Win7Pro64, 32GB ddr4, dual sli nVidia 4GB, 512GB SSD primary drives and 1TB secondary drives). Installed JDK 64, JRE 64 and Eclipse 64 (all three Eclipse versions above give me the same problem). Then run the Ooomph install, do an update first. Everything runs fine. It updates and installs latest version. I select the first option Eclipse for Java Developper, it installs correctly and configures correctly. Start Eclipse, everything runs fine. Everything is functional to this point.
>
> Then I open the "Install New Software" to add some addons/plugins from the repositories. Look through the repositories and select what I need. The first few times I selected everything I required (BIRT, Database etc...). Downloaded and installed and restarted. Error See Logfile xxxxxxxxxx.log. Deleted everything and reinstalled. Selected only a few addons/plugins, same thing. Deleted and reinstalled everything again, selected only one addon/plugin, same thing. Error see log file. I don't get an error code that I can see, just error dialog box pointing to the .log file.
>
> I attached the last error log, can't see what I'm missing. Thanks for any help
>
>
>
>

Re: Eclipse error after installing any new plugins [message #1726877 is a reply to message #1726871] Thu, 17 March 2016 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply Eike, Let me redo the whole thing again and grab screen captures of the whole process and repost. Might take a while and a few posts to get the whole picture of what I'm talking about. Cheers
Re: Eclipse error after installing any new plugins [message #1726920 is a reply to message #1726871] Thu, 17 March 2016 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, first off I'm an Eclipse newbie. I'm trying to migrate the company from the VisualStudio tantacles. Now I redid everything exactly as i did 30 times before. The only different result I haven't seen before is the error message. All the previous ones gave me a path to error log with a xxxxxx.log. Now I get what's in the screenshots .jpg attached as well as the new .log file also attached.

see attached jpeg with numbered screenshots, sorry if it's a bit messy.

1. Opened Installer, ran the updates, everything was fine
2. Opened the settings, installed the latest updates, restarted the installer as asked
3. After restarting, I clicked the first option, Eclipse IDE for Java Developper.
4. Dialog of available JVMs, selected JRE 8.14 x64 (tried JDK 8.14 as well, not working)
5. Installed with success and restarted
6. first dialog after starting Eclipse to set the workspace path. Eclipse starts and runs fine.
7. Help>Install New Software... dialog opens
8. Installs the new plugins, in this case I only selected the Business intelligence one, accept the license agreement, it downloads and installs.
9. It asks to restart. Click yes. Everything doing great so far...
10. Then Poof! Error dialog < Error> see log file

Like I said, 3 different laptops, no lack of hardware capacity, same thing. I also included the eclipse.ini file, not sure if that would help

Thanks

• Attachment: .log
    (Size: 241.41KB, Downloaded 147 times)
  • Attachment: Eclipse.jpg
    (Size: 472.80KB, Downloaded 677 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse.ini
    (Size: 0.78KB, Downloaded 134 times)
Re: Eclipse error after installing any new plugins [message #1726939 is a reply to message #1726920] Thu, 17 March 2016 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
I see one suspicious thing in your screen shots: you're using the Eclipse installation folder (shown in step 3) as the workspace location (step 6). I'm not sure if that's supposed to be supported or not, but it's definitely not something I'd try.
In case you didn't realize, Eclipse uses the concept of workspaces, which are logical containers for projects and separate from the Eclipse installation itself. A user can (typically does) have multiple workspaces that can be opened by an installation of Eclipse. By overlaying them together you might be causing some file system conflicts that result in the bizarre errors you're getting.

For reference, here's how I typically organize my Java and Eclipse installations and workspaces:

/java
    jdk/
        1.7/
        1.8/
    Eclipse/
        Luna/
            eclipse.exe
            ...other eclipse-installation folders and files...
        Mars/
             eclipse.exe
            ...other eclipse-installation folders and files...
       workspaces/
            workspace1-whatever/
            workspace2-something-else/
            ...other workspaces...

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2016 15:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse error after installing any new plugins [message #1726981 is a reply to message #1726939] Fri, 18 March 2016 00:13 Go to previous message
Thanks Eric,

I'll give that a shot and see if that works. I have to do the reinstall in any case now so I'll reinstall the way you do.
Previous Topic:Python PyDev Virtualenvwrapper
Next Topic:Eclipse toolbar icons too small
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:14:36 GMT 2024