Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome
Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1726785] Wed, 16 March 2016 13:31 Go to next message
Mehmet Arziman is currently offline Mehmet ArzimanFriend
Hi colleagues,

did anybody ever tried or thought about to get Kura running with ESH?
Or at least a kind of bridge to both projects.
As far as.I understood: Kura uses Equinox and ESH has Karaf. Basically there should be a possibility to marry those great projects.
We are thinking about this and if there were any thoughts I would be happy to discuss this approach.

Thanks and BR,
Mehmet
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1726998 is a reply to message #1726785] Fri, 18 March 2016 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andre Fuechsel is currently offline Andre FuechselFriend

ESH is not bound to Karaf but is able to run in any OSGi container of your choice. It actually comes with Equinox. openHAB2 uses Karaf...

About Kura, I don't know if anybody has ever tried it. What would be the benefit of having both running together?
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1727102 is a reply to message #1726998] Sat, 19 March 2016 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Mehmet,

I wanted to have a SmartHome-Kura integration since a long time already and there is absolutely no reason against doing this. It was only the case that both ESH-based solutions that I am working on already had a different management framework in place, so that there was no need for Kura. And nobody else yet was interested in doing such an integration - you are the first.

So feel free to look into it, I am very interested about the outcome! It would be nice if this effort might even result in a kind of ESH "demo packaging" that can be used as a standalone runtime.

Regards,
Kai
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1730750 is a reply to message #1726998] Thu, 28 April 2016 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg EVA is currently offline Greg EVAFriend
Andre Fuechsel wrote on Fri, 18 March 2016 07:15
About Kura, I don't know if anybody has ever tried it. What would be the benefit of having both running together?

The two projects certainly have overlap, however Kura is more focused on providing a remotely managed smart gateway (cloud to edge), whereas ESH is more focused on the actual integration of various devices/networks (edge to sensor/device).

The two projects coupled together would provide very broad and rich capabilities, and they already have a number of commonalities:

Eclipse IoT projects
    OSGi
    MQTT (Kura is pretty much based on it)

One thing about Kura which is quite nice, interesting, and simple to enhance is the web UI. Adding centralized MQTT, XML, web UI configuration for an OSGi bundle is all done through one easy to use interface and plugs automatically into the main Kura web configuration. This would for example make remote management and configuration of ESH easier (however the configuration file structure would need to be changed).

Kura also provides a nice way of handling updates.... and can run on very light distributions of Linux without a full package manager to handle updates.
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1730766 is a reply to message #1730750] Thu, 28 April 2016 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
> One thing about Kura which is quite nice, interesting, and simple to enhance is the web UI.

ESH has a very similar feature that is directly integrated into the Paper UI without the need to use yet another external admin UI, so I rather see an overlap here and not so much a synergy.

> Kura also provides a nice way of handling updates....

For which you do need the according server part, which is not open source, or am I missing something?
For ESH in general, update management is out of scope since there are so many different solutions available (p2, Apache Karaf, Apache ACE, ProSyst mPRM, Eurotech Everywhere Cloud, etc.) and it is up to every solution to pick the one that suits best.

I think the main benefit of what Kura can bring to ESH are rather the local features, like watchdogs, hardware driver support (e.g. for GPS), etc.
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1730795 is a reply to message #1730766] Thu, 28 April 2016 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg EVA is currently offline Greg EVAFriend
Kai Kreuzer wrote on Thu, 28 April 2016 11:26

> Kura also provides a nice way of handling updates....

For which you do need the according server part, which is not open source, or am I missing something?

The Everywhere Cloud is certainly proprietary but is also quite rich in what it brings to the table on the specifics of what and how it manages gateway devices. Not all of its functionality between Everywhere Cloud (EC) and Everywhere Software Foundation (ESF) are a part of the open source Kura project. Something like Direct VPN for example; a remote tech using EC can click a button which has the ESF gateway establish a VPN connection to the server and connects it to the techs computer (as I understand) - giving them local network access remotely.

Some pretty awesome parts of this remote management are in fact open source. Even without the server side, you can quickly understand how using MQTT to be able to interact with lots of devices would be very powerful even with some basic scripts or simple web app.

Check this out, from the Kura MQTT Namespace Reference on Github. I was drooling by the time I got to the end. Razz

Remote OSGi ConfigurationAdmin Interactions via MQTT

Remote OSGi DeploymentAdmin Interactions via MQTT

Kai Kreuzer wrote on Thu, 28 April 2016 11:26
I think the main benefit of what Kura can bring to ESH are rather the local features, like watchdogs, hardware driver support (e.g. for GPS), etc.

This is true... I hadn't thought much of this as I understood this to require Eurotech's hardware (with GPS, hardware watchdog, RTC), in which case they include the full ESF stack which is not open source.
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1730818 is a reply to message #1730795] Thu, 28 April 2016 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
It should be pointed out on this thread that the ECF project has a lightweight and framework-portable (e.g. equinox/felix/karaf/etc) implementation the OSGi Remote Services specification (standard for remoting OSGi services) [1], and already has an MQTT/Paho-based distribution provider [2]. It's also in production use for the creation of third-party IoT applications [3], and has addon's for remote OSGi management [4] that are not bound to a single transport protocol.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distribution_Providers
[3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project#What.27s_New
[4] https://github.com/ECF/OSGIRemoteManagement
Re: Combination of Eclipse Kura & Smarthome [message #1742961 is a reply to message #1726785] Thu, 08 September 2016 21:53 Go to previous message
Mehmet Arziman is currently offline Mehmet ArzimanFriend
Hi,

I think this topic gets even more exciting for me due to the fact with Eclipse Kapua, which is a new Eclipse project. And Yes it is the Everywhere Cloud opensourced.
I think the main advantage is that in combination it becomes an E2E Solution.
All parts are there...and I will soon put more energy into this.

I think this makes sense, since it brings a cloud based device managememt framework.

Kapua will also include other Eclipse IoT projects like hawkBit, Hono etc.
So as soon it is released I will take a deeper look into it.

BR Mehmet
Previous Topic:LightweightM2M / Leshan / IPSO
Next Topic:Image from Item state (rather from URL)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:40:01 GMT 2024