Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Auto-completion configuration options(Is it possible to configure the keys that interact with auto-completion?)
Auto-completion configuration options [message #1726009] Wed, 09 March 2016 02:41 Go to next message
Keith Suddick is currently offline Keith SuddickFriend
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have been using Eclipse on and off for quite some time now. Currently using Mars 4.5.0.

I've been writing a lot in Python over the last few weeks, although I suspect that's not relevant, as it's the auto-completion feature I'm getting really frustrated with.

I really do appreciate how useful context-sensitive suggestions and auto-completion are particularly when editing code of course. So I'm not looking to disable the feature (unless I have to). But I think the default configuration in Eclipse is unhelpful - rather like Apple's efforts.

Is it possible to change the keys that interact with the suggestions boxes that appear? Mainly, I really want the return key to mean carriage return and only carriage return.

With my current settings (default I believe) if I were to open a new file (.py in this case) and looking only at my keyboard type:

x=100<CR>
y=x<CR>
z=x+y<CR>

I'd expect to see that text on the screen and for the cursor to be on line 4.

What I actually get is this:

x=100
y=xrangez=x+yield

And the cursor is at the end of line 2. IMHO that is just wrong.

When I reach the end of a line I shouldn't have to stop and think can I just press return, or do I need to press escape to cancel the suggestion box, or if there is a useful suggestion highlighted that I need to press return twice to get to the next line.

As I was typing this I wondered why I don't get frustrated writing VBA which I do quite lot of as well and that too has an auto-completion feature so I went and checked... It *seemed* like the VBA editor was only suggesting something when it was pretty sure it knew I had limited options, like suggesting datatypes after I'd typed "Dim x as ". And whilst the return key does select a highlighted suggestion it does also do a carriage return.

So maybe, for me, Eclipse is just being over-zealous in popping up suggestions when it really has no clue what I might be going to type.

I've looked through the extensive settings and of the ones I understand I can't see anything that would help.

Can anyone suggest alternative settings I could look at that might work better for me?

Cheers.
Re: Auto-completion configuration options [message #1726023 is a reply to message #1726009] Wed, 09 March 2016 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It depends on which set of Python tools you're using. Are you using the Eclipse DLTK project's Python IDE? PyDev? Something else? Unless it's the first one, you might be asking the wrong people.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Auto-completion configuration options [message #1726075 is a reply to message #1726023] Wed, 09 March 2016 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Nitin, thanks for your reply. I had assumed the feature was part of Eclipse itself. Having checked, it looks like I am using PyDev, though I have no memory of choosing that. I'll see if I can find somewhere more appropriate to direct my question re PyDev and look into the DLTK you mention as I'm certainly open to alternatives.

Thanks again.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 March 2016 12:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Auto-completion configuration options [message #1726087 is a reply to message #1726075] Wed, 09 March 2016 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 03/09/2016 05:20 AM, Keith Suddick wrote:
> Hi Nitin, thanks for your reply. I had assumed the feature was part of
> Eclipse itself. Having checked, it looks like I am using PyDev, though
> I have no memory of choosing that. I'll see if I can find a somewhere
> more appropriate to direct my question re PyDev and look into the DLTK
> you mention as I'm certainly open to alternatives.
>
> Thanks again.

I don't know anything about DLTK, but if you're using PyDev, you have to
have installed it using Eclipse Marketplace. Support for that can come
from stackoverflow.com, but there's also a mailing list (see
https://sourceforge.net/p/pydev/mailman/).

Best of luck.
Re: Auto-completion configuration options [message #1726092 is a reply to message #1726087] Wed, 09 March 2016 14:44 Go to previous message
Thank you for that info Russell. I must have installed it quite some time ago as I have no recollection at all Very Happy
Previous Topic:JAX-RS project, using Maven and deploying with Tomcat, not working
Next Topic:Eclipse debug error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:29:15 GMT 2024