Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » EGit circumvents remote pre-receive hooks?
EGit circumvents remote pre-receive hooks? [message #1725350] Wed, 02 March 2016 21:52 Go to next message
Joe Joeseph is currently offline Joe JoesephFriend
I set up a simple test repo and created a pre-receive git hook which checks for a specific commit message format.

I then cloned this test repo, made a modification and performed a local commit with an invalid commit message format.

Next, I attempted to push this commit to the remote repo using git push. It failed as expected because of the pre-receive hook.

Finally, I used the EGit features (add existing repo, import general project from the working directory) in Eclipse and attempted to push from there using one of the toolbar buttons. Unexpectedly the commit went through, despite definitely having an invalid commit message format.

So did Eclipse/EGit somehow circumvent my remote repository pre-recieve hook? How is that possible?
Re: EGit circumvents remote pre-receive hooks? [message #1725351 is a reply to message #1725350] Wed, 02 March 2016 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Hooks support in JGit is still incomplete, EGit 4.2 supports the following hooks
- pre-commit
- commit-msg
- pre-push
Re: EGit circumvents remote pre-receive hooks? [message #1725370 is a reply to message #1725351] Thu, 03 March 2016 06:00 Go to previous message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
I think Joe describes a different scenario where it is not about which hooks egit/jgit supports. If I understood correctly then there exists a non jgit/egit server which has a pre-receive hook. When pushing with native git to the server the server executes that hook and denies the push. But when pushing from EGit that same server accepts the hook. Somehow the git client which is used controls whether the server executes the hook or not. Is my understanding correct?

Ciao
Chris
Previous Topic:Are the files physically stored on your local drive when you clone a repository?
Next Topic:Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:46:47 GMT 2024