Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Target platform not materializing
Target platform not materializing [message #1725152] Tue, 01 March 2016 09:45 Go to next message
Vlad Dumitrescu is currently offline Vlad DumitrescuFriend
Hi,

I am creating a simple Xtext project with the wizard and add the Buckminster build support, also from the wizard, as outlined in http://www.lorenzobettini.it/2012/11/building-xtext-projects-with-buckminster/ and as I did many times before.

The only local change is that we have a local mirror of the eclipse repositories (and no internet access). The problem in this case is that the target platform remains empty, no matter what I do, both when running headless and from the IDE. The 'resolve' command succeeds (bundles are found in the p2 catalog), but then the build fails because the target is empty.

I tried <cq:advisorNode namePattern=".*" useTargetPlatform="false"/> and most of the other values (just to make sure).

This is with Mars and Bucky 1.7.0.

I think i tried all alternatives, to no avail. Either I am missing a silly obvious detail, or something is wrong somewhere...

best regards,
Vlad
Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725256 is a reply to message #1725152] Wed, 02 March 2016 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 01/03/2016 10:45, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am creating a simple Xtext project with the wizard and add the
> Buckminster build support, also from the wizard, as outlined in
> http://www.lorenzobettini.it/2012/11/building-xtext-projects-with-buckminster/
> and as I did many times before.
>
> The only local change is that we have a local mirror of the eclipse
> repositories (and no internet access). The problem in this case is that
> the target platform remains empty, no matter what I do, both when
> running headless and from the IDE. The 'resolve' command succeeds
> (bundles are found in the p2 catalog), but then the build fails because
> the target is empty.
>
> I tried <cq:advisorNode namePattern=".*" useTargetPlatform="false"/> and
> most of the other values (just to make sure).
> This is with Mars and Bucky 1.7.0.
>
> I think i tried all alternatives, to no avail. Either I am missing a
> silly obvious detail, or something is wrong somewhere...
>

Hi

Do you get any specific error/warning during target resolution?

could you please increase the log level just to have an idea of why it
is not resolving anything?

cheers
Lorenzo

--
Prof. Lorenzo Bettini, Computer Science, DISIA, Univ. Firenze
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it
Xtext Book:
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-domain-specific-languages-with-xtext-and-xtend/book

Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725266 is a reply to message #1725256] Wed, 02 March 2016 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Lorenzo,

I already run with 'debug' logging and the beginning of it looks like below. It resolves all right, but does not materialize it in the target.

regards,
Vlad

[echo] IMPORTANT: Populating an empty target platform may take over 10 minutes.
[java] setpref 'targetPlatformPath=/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/buildroot/target.platform'
[java] Preference 'targetPlatformPath' set to the value '/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/buildroot/target.platform'
[java] Doing full workspace refresh
[java] Cancel jobs that are known to run indefinitely...
[java] CANCELED JOB: (org.eclipse.core.internal.utils.StringPoolJob) Compacting resource model(13)
[java] Waiting for jobs to end
[java] installJRE '--location' '/app/jdk/1.7.0_55/RHEL6' '--name' 'my_jdk'
[java] Doing full workspace refresh
[java] Cancel jobs that are known to run indefinitely...
[java] Waiting for jobs to end
[java] resolve '/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng/projects-platform.cquery'
[java] Platform install location: /dev/tools/eclipse/buckminster
[java] Target platform provided by class org.eclipse.buckminster.pde.internal.PDETargetPlatform
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Using resolver rmap
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Redirecting to resource map file:/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng/project.rmap
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Using resolver Local resolver
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Trying provider local(materialized)
[java] No materialization found for mysdk.releng:buckminster
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Trying provider local(workspace)
[java] No open workspace project found that corresponds to mysdk.releng:buckminster
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Rejecting provider local(target): Target platform disabled in query
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Using resource map file:/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng/projects-platform.rmap
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Redirecting to resource map file:/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng/project.rmap
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Using search path project
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Trying provider local({0}/{1}[/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng])
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Found match 
[java] mysdk.releng:buckminster: Using provider local({0}/{1}[/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng])
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Using resolver Local resolver
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Using resolver Local resolver
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Trying provider local(materialized)
[java] No materialization found for org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Trying provider local(materialized)
[java] No materialization found for org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Trying provider local(workspace)
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Trying provider local(workspace)
[java] No open workspace project found that corresponds to org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature
[java] No open workspace project found that corresponds to org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Rejecting provider local(target): Target platform disabled in query
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Using resource map file:/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng/projects-platform.rmap
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Rejecting provider local(target): Target platform disabled in query
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Using resource map file:/workspace/git/xvladum/mysdk/mysdk.releng/projects-platform.rmap
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Using search path eclipse
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Using search path eclipse
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Trying provider p2({0}[file:///eclipse/catalog/mars])
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Trying provider p2({0}[file:///eclipse/catalog/mars])
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Found match 2.8.4.v201508050135
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Found match 4.5.1.v20150904-0015
[java] org.eclipse.xtext.sdk:eclipse.feature: Using provider p2({0}[file:///eclipse/catalog/mars])
[java] org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Using provider p2({0}[file:///eclipse/catalog/mars])
Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725413 is a reply to message #1725266] Thu, 03 March 2016 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 02/03/2016 09:26, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> I already run with 'debug' logging and the beginning of it looks like
> below. It resolves all right, but does not materialize it in the target.
>

Hi

the log does not tell me much, I'm afraid...

The suspicious part is

org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Rejecting provider local(target):
Target platform disabled in query

cheers
Lorenzo

--
Prof. Lorenzo Bettini, Computer Science, DISIA, Univ. Firenze
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it
Xtext Book:
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-domain-specific-languages-with-xtext-and-xtend/book

Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725417 is a reply to message #1725413] Thu, 03 March 2016 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Rejecting provider local(target): Target platform disabled in query

I interpreted that as an effect of using
useTargetPlatform="false"
. The bundles are found in the p2 repo, but nothing happens after that.

Thanks anyway. Hopefully someone has some idea about what might be going on.

regards,
Vlad

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2016 11:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725522 is a reply to message #1725417] Fri, 04 March 2016 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Vlad,

I can think of two things.
1. Buckminster uses the default target platform for some reason. It will then create a .buckminster directory in your
workspace where all the TP contents that it doesn't find in the current runtime (IDE or Headless) will end up.
2. It uses some other TP.

Did you try starting with an empty workspace? Can you see that it grows (as in consume more disk space)?

- thomas

On 2016-03-03 12:33, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Quote:
>> org.eclipse.platform:eclipse.feature: Rejecting provider local(target):
>> Target platform disabled in query
>
>
> I interpreted that as an effect of using useTargetPlatform="false". The bundles are found in the p2 repo, but nothing
> happens after that.
>
> Thanks anyway. Hopefully someone has some idea about what might be going on.
>
> regards,
> Vlad
>
Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725527 is a reply to message #1725522] Fri, 04 March 2016 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the suggestions, but I tried changing the target platform in different ways (default and in an own directory) without any result. What happens is that only artifacts.xml is created and it contains <artifacts size="0"/>...

The headless build creates a fresh workspace, so i tried that too. I can't see anything related in there, it is only 15M with the bulk being the JDT caches.

best regards,
Vlad
Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725531 is a reply to message #1725527] Fri, 04 March 2016 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but sometimes Buckminster materializes org.eclipse.jdt.ui in my workspace... Other times it just complains that it can't find it.

ERROR   [0001] : Unable to obtain resource .buckminster/org.eclipse.jdt.ui from <workspace>/org.eclipse.jdt.ui
Unable to obtain resource .buckminster/org.eclipse.jdt.ui from <workspace>/org.eclipse.jdt.ui
Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725542 is a reply to message #1725531] Fri, 04 March 2016 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas, could you please say if the fact that the source update site is accessible via file:/ could be a problem? I will try to get a similar environment working on a machine with Internet access, to see if there is a difference.

Thanks,
/Vlad
Re: Target platform not materializing [message #1725547 is a reply to message #1725542] Fri, 04 March 2016 09:57 Go to previous message
I have exposed the local eclipse catalog as a web site with a simple web server and the only files requested are contents.jar and artifacts.jar, so it looks like buckminster stops trying early. The feeling I get is that useTargetPlatform="false" is ignored...

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2016 10:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:P2 update for RCP product fails
Next Topic:chmod problem when building mac product
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:24:50 GMT 2024