Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource
Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724435] Tue, 23 February 2016 22:49 Go to next message
Larry LeBron is currently offline Larry LeBronFriend
In my language, I track state which affects the validity of EObjects project-wide.

For example, this state tracks the nature of name uses across resources. If certain conditions are met, an object will become "valid". Similarly, it may become "invalid".

However, this state is only queried when my @Check methods are actually run by the validation system.

Currently, when I use my language, the validator only runs when I call a clean, or when a resource becomes dirty.

However, for my case, I want a resource to be re-validated if this underlying state changes, causing the proper error UI elements (e.g. red x's) to be added to the resource. I see this happening in Xtend, so I know it must be possible.

I have experimented with manually calling the validator via Diagnostician.INSTANCE.validate, IResourceValidator.validate, IResourceUIValidatorExtension.updateValidationMarkers() and by creating my own delta and calling IMarkerUpdater.updateMarkers. These all run the validator, but none cause the error UI elements to update properly the way Xtend does. (Discussed here)

Would it be better to instead somehow mark the affected resource as dirty? I'm looking into how to do that, but haven't yet seen how to instantiate an IDirtyResource object. Or, is there another recommended way?

EDIT for clarity:

Specifically, the UI error elements I'm talking about are:

• Red x icon on project, src folder, package and file in package explorer
  • Red x icon in left margin of editor window
  • Red x icon in bottom left of file editor tab
  • Red highlight under editor text
  • Error description in problems view

Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 24 February 2016 06:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724484 is a reply to message #1724435] Wed, 24 February 2016 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Koehnlein is currently offline Jan KoehnleinFriend
1) The UI elements you're talking about have two different quality: markers (1 and 5) and annotations (2, 3, 4)
Markers are in Eclipse (and Xtext) managed by the builder and refer to the persisted state, while annotations are managed by the editor and reflect the current dirty state. Both can be triggered by validation, but have very different lifecycles.

2) The builder gets a list of changed resources and runs a dependency analysis to calculate which other resources should be rebuild/revalidated.
You can modify this behavior by changing the isAffected methods for the IResourceDescription.Manager of your language. This analysis is based on the index state (IResourceDescription) in order to avoid having to load all resources just to find out whether they have to be rebuilt.

3) Revalidating everything on every change is eventually going to kill performance. Make sure you have the information you need for dependency analysis in the index. Maybe you have to implement your own DefaultResourceDescriptionStrategy to fill userData in the IResourceDescription. I recommend reading the section on scoping in the Xtext documentation.

4) Introducing another cycle for validation is not recommended.

Maybe you can elaborate what kind of validation you want, such that we can find an easier solution.

---
Get professional support from the Xtext committers at www.typefox.io
Re: Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724910 is a reply to message #1724484] Sat, 27 February 2016 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan, this is EXACTLY the pointer I needed. It's now working perfectly, and I believe quite efficiently. Thanks very much!

Next time I'm in Germany, I owe you a drink.
Re: Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724918 is a reply to message #1724910] Sat, 27 February 2016 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
So how did you actually solve it?

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724947 is a reply to message #1724918] Sat, 27 February 2016 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did some debugging, and, as Jan explained, during the build process after a delta in a given resource, Xtext goes through a process where it determines which other resources are "affected" by this change and therefore need to be rebuilt/revalidated.

This is great because, as Jan mentioned, this does not require an additional validation phase.

Specifically, this happens in:

DefaultResourceDescriptionManager.isAffected(Collection<Delta> deltas, IResourceDescription candidate, IResourceDescriptions context)

In this method, the deltas are the changes, and the "candidate" is another resource to consider as affected.

I added and bound a custom ResourceDescriptionManager with a hook into this method. Specifically, since my project uses XBase, extended DerivedStateAwareResourceDescriptionManager for this.

The binding looks like:

override Class<? extends IResourceDescription.Manager> bindIResourceDescription$Manager() {
		return MyDSLResourceDescriptionManager;
}

In my custom implementation, I added an override for the isAffected method, with a special check up top to query the side-indexing I initially referred to. If this check fails then I default to super.isAffected for now.

Basically, this is helping me handle a more complex cross-referencing system which allows one-to-many cross references. The updating of my side index happens before the build process begins querying for isAffected, so I'm just statically tracking all resource URIs which have been affected since the last resource build. So, when I get to this stage, I can just check if the "candidate's" uri is in that set. If so, I flag it as affected and it is rebuilt.

So far, it's looking good!

I have noticed a bit of odd behavior where, during the isAffected query cycle, the same candidate might be queried twice. For example, this was happening with my Xbase project because both the resource change and the generated class change were being treated as deltas. At first, I was removing my candidate URIs from the set upon first detection, assuming that flagging them as "affected" that first time was enough. But, if, during a second isAffected query they were no longer flagged as affected, I found that the resource wasn't being processed as I desired. So, now I just leave them in the set for the whole isAffected cycle. That seems to be doing the trick.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 February 2016 17:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724949 is a reply to message #1724947] Sat, 27 February 2016 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
So it was a model change on one resource that triggers the validation nit not something outside of xtext a i understood your question

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Triggering "re-validation" of non-dirty resource [message #1724955 is a reply to message #1724949] Sat, 27 February 2016 21:12 Go to previous message
Ah yes, sorry for any confusion there. It was a model change in one resource affecting the validation of a separate resource within the same model.
Previous Topic:Updating error markers after invoking validate
Next Topic:Xtext web editor -- semantic highlighting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:19:09 GMT 2024