Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Tomcat Server Unknown
Tomcat Server Unknown [message #1723310] Sun, 14 February 2016 05:00 Go to next message
Brian Smither is currently offline Brian SmitherFriend
Working through a Vogella tutorial about EclipseWTP. The instructions to set it up have got me to the point where I select Apache Tomcat v8.0, check "Create a new local server", and click Next.

On the next screen, after entering the installation directory, I see "Unknown version of Tomcat was specified." and the "Download and Install..." button is dimmed.

The question is: How do I get Eclipse to install a local Tomcat Server v8 in the directory H:\Tomcat?

Mars.1 on Win 7.
Re: Tomcat Server Unknown [message #1724632 is a reply to message #1723310] Thu, 25 February 2016 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
On 2/14/2016 12:00 AM, Brian Smither wrote:
> Working through a Vogella tutorial about EclipseWTP. The instructions to
> set it up have got me to the point where I select Apache Tomcat v8.0,
> check "Create a new local server", and click Next.
>
> On the next screen, after entering the installation directory, I see
> "Unknown version of Tomcat was specified." and the "Download and
> Install..." button is dimmed.
>
> The question is: How do I get Eclipse to install a local Tomcat Server
> v8 in the directory H:\Tomcat?
>
> Mars.1 on Win 7.

Sorry for the slow response. I've been occupied and haven't kept up with
this list.

I assume by now you have downloaded a Tomcat 8 version manually and set
the location. When the Tomcat support was originally added, releases
were coming rapidly. Since the version that would be downloaded is
locked and can't be updated without a new release of WTP, the version
gets very out of date quickly. I may add a download link for Tomcat 8
in Eclipse Neon, but there won't be one for Tomcat 9, support for which
I hope to add shortly to Neon. I maintain it is better to download your
Tomcat directly from http://tomcat.apache.org/ so you can always get the
most current version. There is no inherent benefit to using the
download link for Tomcat versions.

Cheers,
Larry
Re: Tomcat Server Unknown [message #1755505 is a reply to message #1724632] Sat, 04 March 2017 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart Wilson is currently offline Stuart WilsonFriend
I was using Tomcat 8 with eclipse Mars and encountered the same issue. I found it impossible to create a new Dynamic Web Project with JSF because eclipse did not like the name of my Tomcat installation directory. Numerous workarounds, such a deleting a couple of files, did not apply to creating a new project. I tried creating a project without JSF and then attempting to add it after the fact with the same results. Many online comments suggested that it was a bug. I had also run into the same problem adding JSF to a Tomcat v8 project. The existing facets were tagged with warnings about the same issue. This was a project that produced JSP pages that ran fine, even though these "errors" were built in.
Running with that notion, I've upgraded Java to version 8, tomcat to version 9 and eclipse to neon. Same problem.
Then I came across this post, the only one I've seen that had some form of explanation.
Question 1: If the tomcat version must be a certain version, what version is it? I've been using apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M17 and have tried re-naming it to drop the M17, dropping the M17 and 0.0 and dropping the version characters entirely. None work. What is very strange is that once Tomcat V9 was installed, the addidtional JRE shows up in eclipse's list, so eclipse is somehow aware of the installation, but rejects it. If eclipse froze the tomcat version at 9.x.x, I cannot see how 9.0.0, being very early, is the wrong one.
Question 2: Eclipse having frozen a runtime seems very strange. Successive versions are generally backward compatible. Do current eclipse WTP releases support JSF development with Tomcat or not? Everything indicates that it does not.
Re: Tomcat Server Unknown [message #1759779 is a reply to message #1755505] Tue, 18 April 2017 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M A J Jeyaseelan is currently offline M A J JeyaseelanFriend
I am perplexed too. After updating the WTP plugin, the option to select Tomcat 8.5 and Tomcat 9 appear in the list but the error message "Unknown version of Tomcat was specified" appears after one selects the bin folder of the selected tomcat version.

I am quite new to Eclipse. Can anyone guide me the mistakes I may be committing?
Re: Tomcat Server Unknown [message #1759839 is a reply to message #1759779] Wed, 19 April 2017 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Have you tried just selecting Tomcat's top level folder, once unpacked?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Tomcat Server Unknown [message #1776627 is a reply to message #1759839] Sun, 19 November 2017 04:01 Go to previous message
Karen Goh is currently offline Karen GohFriend
man..you saved my life...been looking for this solution since yesterday....Tks!
Previous Topic:After migration/update, Tomcat says "The main resource set specified [...] is not valid"
Next Topic:What does proposed Google Chrome code blocking mean for Java EE Tomcat development and HTML
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:36:01 GMT 2024