Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Unresolved requirement issues when migrating from Eclipse 3.7 to 4.5
Unresolved requirement issues when migrating from Eclipse 3.7 to 4.5 [message #1722246] Wed, 03 February 2016 15:25 Go to next message
Thomas Elskens is currently offline Thomas ElskensFriend
Hello,

According to most references I found (e.g. http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/Eclipse4MigrationGuide/article.html), a soft migration from Eclipse RCP 3 to 4 should be possible merely by adapting my target platform and the product file.

In this case, the application, wholly based on the Eclipse 3 API, should work with the Eclipse 4 engine.

However, when trying to do this, I ran into a lot of Unresolved requirement issues. I already worked around all the missing javax.annotation and javax.inject by importing these packages in almost all my plugins, but three of these requirement issues remain:

1) org.eclipse.ui.workbench (...) Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.e4.core.commands
2) javax.servlet.jsp (...) Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: javax.el; version="2.2.0"
3) and various p2 plugins complaining about Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.tukaani.xz; bundle-version="1.3.0"

I do not understand : those three requirement (org.eclipse.e4.core.commands, javax.el (2.2.0) and org.tukaani.xz (1.3.0) are all part of the target platform and the product definition...

Where else should I put them ? Or more generally, what am I doing wrong ... ?

Thanks a lot for any hints !
Re: Unresolved requirement issues when migrating from Eclipse 3.7 to 4.5 [message #1722296 is a reply to message #1722246] Wed, 03 February 2016 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
The dependencies have changed dramatically with 4.x. You'll need to either include the the org.eclipse.rcp feature or review its contents and adjust your product/features.
Re: Unresolved requirement issues when migrating from Eclipse 3.7 to 4.5 [message #1722365 is a reply to message #1722296] Thu, 04 February 2016 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

This is exactly what I did: I used the features org.eclipse.rcp (4.5.1.v20150904-0015) and org.eclipse.e4.rcp (1.4.0.v20150903-1804) features from the Mars release in my product file, with the result as described.
Re: Unresolved requirement issues when migrating from Eclipse 3.7 to 4.5 [message #1722391 is a reply to message #1722365] Thu, 04 February 2016 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Are you seeing these problems when launching from within Eclipse? Or from a built product (and built how?)?

See the Where Is My Bundle? page for some hints on diagnosing bundle resolving problems using the OSGi Console.
Re: Unresolved requirement issues when migrating from Eclipse 3.7 to 4.5 [message #1722417 is a reply to message #1722391] Thu, 04 February 2016 17:16 Go to previous message
Hmm I found something interesting. So first of all, to answer your question, I was launching from withing Eclipse.

When inspecting carefully the logs (attached for reference), it turns out that org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin could not start because of a org.eclipse.core.internal.dtree.ObjectNotFoundException.
Googling this error shows that this has something to do with corrupt workspace settings.

And yes indeed, starting my RCP in compatibility mode while picking another workspace works ! (I do have a problem that my CommonNavigator remains blank, but that one I still have to investigate).

But I do find it odd that my "old", Indigo-driven, application has no problem with this particular set of settings and starts totally normally, whereas starting in compatibility mode leads Eclipse to crash.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the quick answer, I can now progress.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Mars on Linux Mint
Next Topic:Customize E4 Message when workspace is in use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:01:27 GMT 2024