Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Different ECF versions, does it work? (Mars and Juno)
Different ECF versions, does it work? (Mars and Juno) [message #1722203] Wed, 03 February 2016 11:17 Go to next message
Marco Descher is currently offline Marco DescherFriend
I have an ecf generic server where the target runs against Mars, and some clients which have their target set against Juno.

Is it generally considered to work for ECF with ecf.generic when having different versions??

Thank you guys!
Re: Different ECF versions, does it work? (Mars and Juno) [message #1722208 is a reply to message #1722203] Wed, 03 February 2016 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

Hi Marco,

The same major version should always work with the same major version.

So ECF 3.9.0 works with ECF 3.12.0 but ofcourse, there are bugs solved in later releases.

Cheers,

Wim
Re: Different ECF versions, does it work? (Mars and Juno) [message #1722216 is a reply to message #1722208] Wed, 03 February 2016 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hy Wim,

thanks a lot for your feedback. So I don't seem to find a way to get these both working together, as discovery differs from major version 4 to 5 and remoteservice differs major 8 to 6 Sad

all the best,
marco
Re: Different ECF versions, does it work? (Mars and Juno) [message #1722253 is a reply to message #1722216] Wed, 03 February 2016 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Hi Marco.

As you saId, there are several major components to remote services: the distribution provider (generic), the discovery provider (from what you've said, I'm not sure which one you are currently using), and the OSGi remote services implementation.

In general, having clients/consumers that are older than the server/host are more likely to be problematic...as you seem to have found. The reason for this is that the host produces meta-data about the remote service (and publishes for discovery if you are using network discovery) and this meta-data has to be understood by the consumer. And if the consumer is older than the remote service host, this can be an issue.

If you have information about what problems you are experiencing (e.g. exceptions, logging, when they occur, etc) then we may be able to find work-arounds for you. It might be better to have a technical dialog on the ecf-dev mailing list: https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ecf-dev as there is more expertise there. Also if you wish to contact me directly about providing contractual support I can be reached at slewis at composent.com.

Scott
Re: Different ECF versions, does it work? (Mars and Juno) [message #1722298 is a reply to message #1722253] Wed, 03 February 2016 21:39 Go to previous message
Hy Scott,

thanks for your feedback! The client is using the older version, and the effect is, that I don't discover any services at all. We have an update of the target projected to a later date ... you know last 3.x release. I tried to pre-update the resp. ECF bundles but there are too many conflicts with the integrated p2 systems usage of ECF.

Nevertheless, all the examples do work fine for me and proove that there are no problems within the same version Smile

Reverting to jax-rs for the moment, but will certainly catch up to EMF once the target mismatch is fixed!

atb,
marco
Previous Topic:Cannot connect to my Gmail or MSN accounts
Next Topic:I lose osgi remote service
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:30:44 GMT 2024