Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Accessing properties through JVM model
Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721903] Mon, 01 February 2016 15:13 Go to next message
Daniel Cardin is currently offline Daniel CardinFriend
Hello Christian,

As a follow-up of last week's discussions, I have decided to augment my DSL to support property access like in your post : https://christiandietrich.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/xtext-and-dot-expressions/

The approach presented there is quite straightforward and understandable, but I don't think it can apply to my case for 2 reasons. The first is that I need to access the referenced properties through specific methods (so no direct Model/EMF representation) and also because a large part of the model will be shipped as a Java library with no model to generate from / link to.

As you may recall, my properties generate instances of Property containers that have different attributes (PropertyAttribute). I would like to write a DSL that allows me to chain access as such:

top.child.subchild = literalvalue

that generates code like:

top.value.get.child.value.get.subchild.value = literalvalue

The "value" returns an optional, thus the added call at each step.

How do you think I should do this? There is some issues of typing, auto completion etc.
It doesn't seem to me like the scoping as you have done on your blog post is a good strategy, as a large part of the model is not available and thus needs to go through JVM class analysis.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721916 is a reply to message #1721903] Mon, 01 February 2016 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

i dont get that Point. you dont Need to do this in a jvmmodel based envionment at all. in a jvmmodel envionment this should work with xexpressions automatically

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721919 is a reply to message #1721916] Mon, 01 February 2016 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The XExpressions are much too complex for my taste.

property.getValue().get().subProperty.getValue().get()

i would much rather write

property.subProperty = false

I don't really care to modify xbase. I don't need to express that kind of thing in an XBlockExpression for example.
I'm fine doing things like:

init {
a.b.c = 10
a.b.d = false
etc.
}

You see ?
Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721921 is a reply to message #1721919] Mon, 01 February 2016 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you consider to use null values and optional chaining ?. Operator

Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721927 is a reply to message #1721921] Mon, 01 February 2016 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, and that will be part of my expression DSL as well..
but 1) how do I remove the extra code, like getValue() and get()
2) how do I get the list of 'fields', if they are coming only from java classes and not from an EMF model ?
Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721928 is a reply to message #1721927] Mon, 01 February 2016 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Cardin <forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, and that will be part of my expression DSL as well..
> but 1) how do I remove the extra code, like getValue() and get()
> 2) how do I get the list of 'fields', if they are coming only from java
> classes and not from an EMF model ?
>

I don't get that. I am talking about pure xbase and not using optionals.
Give it a try with xtend

Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721929 is a reply to message #1721928] Mon, 01 February 2016 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm way more familiar with xtend than xtext Smile and I am trying to go one step above.
If xtend had default accessors or the equivalent of the "apply" method in Scala, it would work. But I am not introducing Optionals for the fun of it, it's because they are needed. Plus, how do I abstract away the "value()" call ?
Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721931 is a reply to message #1721929] Mon, 01 February 2016 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you share some example pojos and client code that help me to reproduce
and understand your problem

Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721939 is a reply to message #1721931] Mon, 01 February 2016 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p.s: back to my blog post: the jvm stuff is emf objects as well: but doing the scoping right is pain as hell.
thus my idea to have a api (maybe wrapped arround your api) that is more close to what xbase can currently understand

Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721940 is a reply to message #1721931] Mon, 01 February 2016 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
public class Dimension extends Configurable {
  public final ValueProperty<Measure<Area>> area = new ValueProperty<Measure<Area>>("area");
  public final ValueProperty<Measure<Length>> perimeter = new ValueProperty<Measure<Length>>("perimeter");
  public final ValueProperty<Measure<Length>> height = new ValueProperty<Measure<Length>>("height");

public class Horizontal extends SomethingUsingDimension {
  public final ValueProperty<Boolean> hasBox = new ValueProperty<Boolean>("hasBox");

private final void init_hasBox() {
    hasBox.setAttribute(PropertyAttribute.VISIBLE,Boolean.valueOf(true));    
  }

protected void init() {
    super.init();
    registerProperty("hasBox", hasBox);
    init_hasBox();

// this line I want to write :   dimension.height = 100 mm
    dimension.getValue().get().height.setValue(Measure.valueOf(100d, SI.MILLI(SI.METER)));
  }
}

Like I said, I don't need it to be XBase based. It can be expressions as part of the DSL.

Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721943 is a reply to message #1721940] Mon, 01 February 2016 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like this can be only done with a bigger adoption. unfortunately i dont have the time to support that deeply.
what i dont understand is: is the libary user provided or is it yours? ( i mean the dimension class?)
if it is yours you could use a (static) wrapper class instead? maybe provided by an extension?
this would offer a

package org.xtext.example.mydsl

import java.util.Optional

class Dimension {
	 public val ValueProperty<Measure<Area>> area = new ValueProperty<Measure<Area>>("area");
  public val ValueProperty<Measure<Length>> perimeter = new ValueProperty<Measure<Length>>("perimeter");
  public val  ValueProperty<Measure<Length>> height = new ValueProperty<Measure<Length>>("height");

}

class Main {

def static void handle(Dimension dimension) {
		dimension.height = 10
	}

def static setHeight(Dimension d, int height) {
		//TODO
	}

def static int getHeight(Dimension d) {
		//TODO
	}
}

class ValueProperty<T> {

new(String s)  {

}

def Optional<T> getValue() {
		return null;
	}
}

class Area {

}

class Length {

}

class Measure<T> {

}

Re: Accessing properties through JVM model [message #1721945 is a reply to message #1721943] Mon, 01 February 2016 18:36 Go to previous message
There are way too many possibilities in the runtime model for that kind of integration.
I'll have to think about it. worst case, it will be ID + ('.' ID)* with no content assist. But I was hoping for context Smile
Thanks anyway Christian Smile
Previous Topic:Find annotated model element from other file in Inferrer
Next Topic:Auto -Complete for intellij , based web editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:53:02 GMT 2024