Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Migrating Old RCP Project(Trying to rebuild project that used to work)
Migrating Old RCP Project [message #1721746] Fri, 29 January 2016 17:08 Go to next message
Dennis Merritt is currently offline Dennis MerrittFriend
I'm working with an early RCP program, a development environment for Prolog. It was built with the earliest versions of Eclipse. I successfully rebuilt it with Galileo in 2012 on both Windows 32, 64 and Mac OSX. I'm now trying to rebuild again with the idea of going open source with it. But it doesn't build, either with Galileo or Mars.

The main issue seemed to be unresolved SWT references, yet org.eclipse.swt is in the install, and listed where you would expect.

So I included the SWT as a project, but don't understand why I should have to do that. I put it on the build path, and the SWT problems went away, but my first question is, why do I have to do that? Why can't it use the org.eclipse.swt that is included in the distribution? What do I have to do to make that happen.

Next, I had errors about missing manifests with Mars. I download the compatibility package, and it appears to have created the required manifest.mf files. Good, I think.

My latest issue is the build doesn't build because it can't find itself, or rather the required org.eclipse bundles. See errors at end of this message.

I'm very disturbed that this error log file starts with Bootloader constants talking about win32. I'm running it under Mac OSX.

Something is somewhere wrapping around an axle and I'm having a hard time figuring out where. I'm not an experienced Eclipse developer, rather someone trying to get code running that was developed by an individual now deceased.

Thanks,
--Dennis

!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.amzi.prolog [7]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: com.amzi.prolog.core; bundle-version="[3.5.9201,4.0.0)"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: com.amzi.prolog.core; bundle-version="3.5.9404"; singleton:="true"
com.amzi.prolog.core [8]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.ui; bundle-version="3.107.0.v20150507-1945"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.ui [455]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.runtime; bundle-version="3.11.1.v20150903-1804"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.core.runtime [96]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"; visibility:="reexport"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="3.7.0.v20150330-2103"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.core.jobs [93]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.7))"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
Re: Migrating Old RCP Project [message #1721748 is a reply to message #1721746] Fri, 29 January 2016 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The first thing I suggest you do is educate yourself about Target Platforms and how to use them for developing Eclipse plug-ins and/or RCP apps. This is a good resource (there are others on the web, too): http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseTargetPlatform/article.html
Once you set up a Target Platform, many of these kinds of problems go away (or at least are easier to identify and correct).

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2016 17:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Migrating Old RCP Project [message #1721750 is a reply to message #1721748] Fri, 29 January 2016 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Merritt is currently offline Dennis MerrittFriend
Thank you. I'm now a little smarter about Target Platforms. I followed the steps in the article to build my own, but wound up with installation errors, and decided to back up a bit. Examining the target platform for the machine, I noticed that it had included, in addition to the Mac Eclipse installation, as a library, the 3.5 Delta pack directory from my Windows virtual machine on my mac. So I deleted it, created a new target platform from the existing machine, and that cleaned up the directories. ALSO, SOLVED THE SWT PROBLEM. So my issue was kind of obscure, some cross contamination between my Windows and Mac development environments.

Happily trying to build again, I ran into the same error, but this time at least with the correct BootLoader constants. I guess I need to figure out what osgi.ee is and how I get it to be found.

BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.platform.ide
Command-line arguments: -product org.eclipse.platform.ide -data /Users/dennis/Work/github/amzi/source/eclipse/amzi-ide/workspace/../runtime-EclipseApplication(1) -dev file:/Users/dennis/Work/github/amzi/source/eclipse/amzi-ide/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/Eclipse Application (1)/dev.properties -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consoleLog

!ENTRY com.amzi.prolog 4 0 2016-01-29 13:23:46.297
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.amzi.prolog [7]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: com.amzi.prolog.core; bundle-version="[3.5.9201,4.0.0)"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: com.amzi.prolog.core; bundle-version="3.5.9404"; singleton:="true"
com.amzi.prolog.core [8]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.ui; bundle-version="3.107.0.v20150507-1945"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.ui [455]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.runtime; bundle-version="3.11.1.v20150903-1804"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.core.runtime [96]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"; visibility:="reexport"
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="3.7.0.v20150330-2103"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.core.jobs [93]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.7))"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
Re: Migrating Old RCP Project [message #1721909 is a reply to message #1721750] Mon, 01 February 2016 16:05 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend

is telling you that one of the bundles requires a 1.7 Execution Environment.
What version of Java is specified in your target platform? What version are you running Eclipse in?
Previous Topic:Mars installation problem
Next Topic:Eclipse Mars seems not to use proxy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:51:19 GMT 2024