Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do?(Looking for a Eclipse plugin that can parse multiple XML files making up a corpus)
How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719695] Mon, 11 January 2016 14:02 Go to next message
anon anon is currently offline anon anonFriend
Hello

I was looking for an app that could parse multiple XML files making up a huge collection of text called the British National Corpus, and then found a plugin for XML editing called Rinzo.

The site on Rinzo claims to parse large XML but does not explain if it can parse multiple XML files at one sitting and doesn't look easy to use. If someone out there has ever used this plugin, please let me know if it can do so. Also, if anyone knows any other way to parse multiple XML files with Eclipse, please post the technique as I could not find any.

Thank you for reading.
Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719707 is a reply to message #1719695] Mon, 11 January 2016 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Parse them to what end?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719785 is a reply to message #1719707] Tue, 12 January 2016 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.

I would like to get Eclipse to find certain words across multiple XML files and to display the lines containing the words if possible.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 January 2016 03:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719786 is a reply to message #1719785] Tue, 12 January 2016 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 01/11/2016 08:07 PM, anon anon wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I would like to get Eclipse to find certain terms across multiple XML
> files and to display the lines containing the terms if possible.

fgrep? Here are some commands for you:

fgrep -Hn term *.xml # (in same subdirectory)

find . -name '*.xml' -exec fgrep -Hn term {} \; # (in multiple
subdirectories under the current subdirectory)
Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719801 is a reply to message #1719785] Tue, 12 January 2016 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The built-in basic File Search can restrict itself to whole words. I don't think there's a search feature (from eclipse.org's XML Editor and tools) that specifically deals with XML syntax other than the one for detecting Tasks (looking for keywords specifically in comments, e.g. "TODO"). Even that has a practical limitation of 2GB since it can't report locations past there.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Tue, 12 January 2016 07:53]

Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719850 is a reply to message #1719785] Tue, 12 January 2016 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 01/11/2016 08:07 PM, anon anon wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I would like to get Eclipse to find certain terms across multiple XML
> files and to display the lines containing the terms if possible.

Anon Anon,

If you are interested in writing something to do this, I can help you,
particularly in Java having done this myself, though I'm not willing to
do the work for you. I can give you massive amounts of SAX handler and
symbol-table code for such a project.

This isn't an Eclipse concern, so contact me directly if you care.

Cheers,

Russ Bateman
icon6.gif  Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719909 is a reply to message #1719786] Wed, 13 January 2016 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you, I would like to take up this option of running fgrep.
Being a complete beginner, I have so far only got up to creating a project and cannot figure fgrep can be run. Could you possibly please give me a little more advice about how running fgrep in the IDE?

The installation I have on my Mac is Eclipse for PHP Developers.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 January 2016 04:40]

Re: How do you parse multiple XML files with Eclipse? Can Rinzo do? [message #1719957 is a reply to message #1719909] Wed, 13 January 2016 13:39 Go to previous message
Erik Test is currently offline Erik TestFriend
fgrep is a tool that's run from the command line on a *nix system. You can run it on Windows by installing Cygwin.
Previous Topic:How to import a text document and put each line in an array
Next Topic:webview upload image
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:16:13 GMT 2024