Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Starting a new, embedded project, new to eclipse
Starting a new, embedded project, new to eclipse [message #1719309] Thu, 07 January 2016 01:06 Go to next message
ja bu is currently offline ja buFriend
Many years later, I've missed my embedded life. I've never used Eclipse and I've downloaded the Mars version. I've purchased the educational jlink pod and a dev board with an LPC 1758 arm 7 micro as its center piece. I've followed the gnu arm instructions and used the jlink commander to verify that yes, I do have connection and communication with the micro.

Questions regarding Eclipse:
1) I'd like to download the firmware that is currently running on the dev board, as well as observing the memory. How and where do I do this?
2) it is not clear how to use a make file when the documentation hints at using the *.launch file.
3) I'm unsure if the GDB server is running. How could I tell?
4) favorite book about using c/c++ eclipse?

General question regarding the arm micro:
1)h If I want to develop a board using an lpc micro, how to I initially set the jtag clock?

Re: Starting a new, embedded project, new to eclipse [message #1719374 is a reply to message #1719309] Thu, 07 January 2016 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 01/06/2016 10:03 PM, ja bu wrote:
> Many years later, I've missed my embedded life. I've never used Eclipse
> and I've downloaded the Mars version. I've purchased the educational
> jlink pod and a dev board with an LPC 1758 arm 7 micro as its center
> piece. I've followed the gnu arm instructions and used the jlink
> commander to verify that yes, I do have connection and communication
> with the micro.
> Questions regarding Eclipse:
> 1) I'd like to download the firmware that is currently running on the
> dev board, as well as observing the memory. How and where do I do this?
> 2) it is not clear how to use a make file when the documentation hints
> at using the *.launch file. 3) I'm unsure if the GDB server is running.
> How could I tell?
> 4) favorite book about using c/c++ eclipse?
>
> General question regarding the arm micro:
> 1)h If I want to develop a board using an lpc micro, how to I initially
> set the jtag clock?

Your best answer for #4 will come from the Eclipse CDT forum. For the
other questions, I'm betting you'll get them from other forums, but ask
in that forum and they can tell you better.
Re: Starting a new, embedded project, new to eclipse [message #1719415 is a reply to message #1719309] Thu, 07 January 2016 18:28 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
ja bu wrote on Thu, 07 January 2016 03:06
Many years later, I've missed my embedded life. I've never used Eclipse and I've downloaded the Mars version. I've purchased the educational jlink pod and a dev board with an LPC 1758 arm 7 micro as its center piece. I've followed the gnu arm instructions and used the jlink commander to verify that yes, I do have connection and communication with the micro.

The LPC1758 is a Cortex-M3 chip. Using the identifier Cortex-M3 finds more useful information than ARM 7, which is ambiguous. An ARM 7 can be a Cortex (ARM architecture 7), or it can be an ARM7TDMI (ARM architecture 4).

Quote:

Questions regarding Eclipse:
1) I'd like to download the firmware that is currently running on the dev board, as well as observing the memory. How and where do I do this?

This is not an Eclipse issue. The Jlink code should be able to copy the on-chip flash memory contents to a file. There is no simple general method to determine how long the code image is, so the safe solution is to get it all.

A second option is to install an OpenOCD copy with Jlink drivers and use it as the intermediate tool. The Eclipse and GDB combination is able to use OpenOCD for Cortex-M3 with whatever supported JTAG dongle. It is a simple one-liner for OpenOCD to dump the flash to a file.

Quote:

2) it is not clear how to use a make file when the documentation hints at using the *.launch file.

The make file is an instruction script for the make utility telling how the code has to be compiled, linked and post-processed for the target. For documentation, see 'make' documentation at http://www.gnu.org.

Quote:

3) I'm unsure if the GDB server is running. How could I tell?

The 'GDB server' is ambiguous: The classic setup is so that Eclipse uses the GNU debugger (GDB) which in turn runs the JTAG interface code (e.g. OpenOCD) as a remote target. The JTAG code has to be started separately and GDB will be started as a part of the debug start-up. The GDB documentation can also be fetched from http://www.gnu.org.

Quote:

4) favorite book about using c/c++ eclipse?

This question may be split into two: How to program in embedded C/C++ (using the GNU tools), and how to use the Eclipse C/C++ toolset.

For the second question, the Eclipse CDT documentation has been enough, but there are plenty of Web resources available.

Quote:

General question regarding the arm micro:
1)h If I want to develop a board using an lpc micro, how to I initially set the jtag clock?

The ARM core does not completely follow the JTAG standard on clock usage. It seems that the internal logic is clocked using the CPU clock, and there is a limitation for the TCK frequency. For many chips, the limit is 1/6 of CPU clock, but it has to be verified from the specific chip hardware documentation.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:error accessing javascript file
Next Topic:Eclipse and Ubuntu Launcher
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 22:27:40 GMT 2019