Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » JDT throws ClassNotFoundException while instantiating ExecutableExtensionFactory
JDT throws ClassNotFoundException while instantiating ExecutableExtensionFactory [message #1719173] Tue, 05 January 2016 19:48 Go to next message
Erick Hagstrom is currently offline Erick HagstromFriend
My application includes both an XText DSL and the JDT (the Java editor, among other things). When run from Eclipse all is well, but when I run from an exported executable, the following happens:

When I open a Java editor on a Java source file, org.eclipse.jdt.core throws org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Plug-in org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared was unable to load class org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared.internal.ExecutableExtensionFactory.

This is caused by java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/xtext/ui/guice/AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory.

And this is caused by java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.xtext.ui.guice.AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory cannot be found by org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared_2.9.1.v201512180746.

I believe this to be related to org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared declaring an extension to org.eclipse.jdt.core.compilationParticipant as class org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared.internal.ExecutableExtensionFactory:org.eclipse.xtext.builder.smap.DebugSourceInstallingCompilationParticipant. JDT tries to instantiate ExecutableExtensionFactory but can't find AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory.

Is this a problem in the way I've exported my application? Am I holding something wrong?

The full trace is as follows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.core 4 2 2016-01-05 14:38:00.107
!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jdt.core".
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Plug-in org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared was unable to load class org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared.internal.ExecutableExtensionFactory.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.throwException(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.j
ava:178)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:905)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:243)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:55)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$CompilationParticipants$1.run(JavaModelManager.java:344)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$CompilationParticipants.getCompilationParticipants(JavaModelManager.java:339)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.notifyParticipants(ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.java:239)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.executeOperation(ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.java:95)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.run(JavaModelOperation.java:729)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.runOperation(JavaModelOperation.java:789)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnit.reconcile(CompilationUnit.java:1250)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:126)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.access$0(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:108)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy$1.run(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:89)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:87)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.initialReconcile(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:178)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.CompositeReconcilingStrategy.initialReconcile(CompositeReconcilingStrategy.java:114)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.JavaCompositeReconcilingStrategy.initialReconcile(JavaCompositeReconcilingStrategy.java:136)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.MonoReconciler.initialProcess(MonoReconciler.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.JavaReconciler.initialProcess(JavaReconciler.java:406)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.AbstractReconciler$BackgroundThread.run(AbstractReconciler.java:173)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/xtext/ui/guice/AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.defineClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:272)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.defineClass(ClasspathManager.java:632)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:588)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:540)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:527)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.findLocalClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:324)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:327)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:402)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:352)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:344)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:160)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.loadClass(EquinoxBundle.java:573)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:174)
... 22 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.xtext.ui.guice.AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory can
not be found by org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared_2.9.1.v201512180746
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:439)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:352)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:344)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:160)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
... 38 more
Re: JDT throws ClassNotFoundException while instantiating ExecutableExtensionFactory [message #1719204 is a reply to message #1719173] Wed, 06 January 2016 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sven Efftinge is currently offline Sven EfftingeFriend
The missing class is contained in 'org.eclipse.xtext.ui'.
Could check whether that bundle can be resolved and started?
Re: JDT throws ClassNotFoundException while instantiating ExecutableExtensionFactory [message #1720133 is a reply to message #1719204] Thu, 14 January 2016 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Sven, thanks for the quick reply. It would be nice if the problem were that simple, but such is not the case. I am able to load AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory (and get the related Class<AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory> object) prior to the point where the exception is thrown, and I still get the exception.

As a workaround, I rebuilt org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared with a new manifest.mf file in which I changed all dependencies to org.eclipse.xtext.* bundles from optional to required. That solved my immediate problem. I understand that it's not a solution globally.

I'm still digging through it, trying to isolate the set of conditions under which this fails. I suspect, though, that ultimately it's a bug in equinox, not Xtext.
Re: JDT throws ClassNotFoundException while instantiating ExecutableExtensionFactory [message #1720160 is a reply to message #1720133] Thu, 14 January 2016 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got it, but it doesn't make sense to me.

We wanted our own FooExecutableExtensionFactory class, so one of us created a BetterFooExecutableExtensionFactory extends AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory. I changed it so that BetterFooExecutableExtensionFactory extends (the generated) FooExecutableExtensionFactory, and the problem disappeared.

The generated FooExecutableExtensionFactory just extends AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory itself, and nothing accesses it directly (that I can find using the References menu option), so I am at a loss as to why this matters, but it seems to.

How could any of this have any bearing on whether an entirely different plug-in, org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared, would have trouble instantiating its own ExecutableExtensionFactory? *shrug*
Re: JDT throws ClassNotFoundException while instantiating ExecutableExtensionFactory [message #1720177 is a reply to message #1720160] Thu, 14 January 2016 22:11 Go to previous message
Theory: it's a race condition.

Scenario A: My plug-in activates before org.eclipse.jdt.core. My Activator needs SharedStatusModule from org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared and loads it. There's no need to access org.eclipse.xtext.ui from .shared, so that optional dependency is dropped/ignored. Later, org.eclipse.jdt.core activates and creates CompilationParticipants. It finds org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared, tries to make a ExecutableExtensionFactory, finds no BundleWire (or whatever it should be at that point) representing org.eclipse.xtext.ui so never looks there, eventually finds no AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory, and fails. That's my original scenario.

Scenario B: org.eclipse.jdt.core activates before my plug-in and starts instantiating CompilationParticipants. It tries to create org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared.internal.ExecutableExtensionFactory, recognizes that the dependency on org.ecliplse.xtext.ui is necessary, so it looks there, finds AbstractGuiceAwareExecutableExtensionFactory, and successfully creates everything. Later, my plug-in activates, looks for SharedStateModule, finds it, and they all execute happily ever after.

The only thing that happened when I added an additional type between my Factory and the AbstractGuiceAware one was to make my activation take just a beat longer, giving org.eclipse.jdt.core a chance to get to org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared before I did. Or, if there's no multi-threading in there, it did nothing and I'm going to have intermittent problems with this depending on solar flares, phases of the moon, and whether a butterfly in Munich sneezes once or twice.

So, again, probably not your bug/issue. But does it sound plausible, if not necessarily reproducible? Where do I file it? (Bugzilla, yeah, but which product etc.?)

Thanks!
Previous Topic:XText 2.9 and multiple grammars
Next Topic:Regarding Configuring Content assist in XText UI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:08:12 GMT 2024