Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable?
Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1716735] Mon, 07 December 2015 21:03 Go to next message
Larry LeBron is currently offline Larry LeBronFriend
I have been finding that the "Launch Runtime Eclipse" configuration which is created along with new Xtext projects is not always available.

I always have the option to run the "Eclipse Application" run configuration, but the "Launch Runtime Eclipse" sometimes mysteriously becomes unavailable.

My most reliable path to "reviving" it has been to reach it through another Xtext project in my workspace. All the projects seem to launch the same runtime eclipse, so that works.

Has anyone else experience this behavior?
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1716748 is a reply to message #1716735] Mon, 07 December 2015 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Fritsch is currently offline Thomas FritschFriend
The reason for this mystery is, that the launch configuration is stored in file "yourXtextProject/.launch/Launch Runtime Eclipse.launch".
When you close this Xtext project, then Eclipse doesn't "see" this launch configuration anymore, and hence it disappears from the shown run/debug configurations.
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1716758 is a reply to message #1716748] Tue, 08 December 2015 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks for clarifying the path of the launch config.

However, I've been experiencing this with my project open.

I have been closing other xtext projects in my workspace.

Is it possible there's an issue caused by having multiple run configurations with the same name in the workspace?
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1716793 is a reply to message #1716758] Tue, 08 December 2015 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uli Merkel is currently offline Uli MerkelFriend
Hi Larry,

AFAIK, there is always only ONE configuration per name stored.
An when you delete/close the original project, the configuration vanishes.

At least this happened to me.
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1717224 is a reply to message #1716793] Thu, 10 December 2015 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, ok, as I feared. That's too bad, but pretty easy to work around.

Thanks for confirming.
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1760015 is a reply to message #1716735] Fri, 21 April 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Pace is currently offline David PaceFriend
I am experiencing this issue with only one Xtext project on a new clean workspace. The launch configuration is not generated, not even after running the MWE2 Workflow for the DSL.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Eclipse Neon.3 for DSL Developers
  2. Create a new Xtext Project (Default Greeting Grammar is Generated)
  3. Run the MWE2 Workflow for the grammar
  4. 'Launch Runtime Eclipse' is not available

It this intended behavior? Or maybe a system-specific bug?

Best,
Dave
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1760021 is a reply to message #1760015] Fri, 21 April 2017 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
i just gave it a try on MacOSX and i could reproduce this.
this looks like https://github.com/eclipse/xtext-core/issues/112
which is fixed in xtext 2.11

the dsl thingy from eclipse still contains xtext 2.10

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1760030 is a reply to message #1760021] Fri, 21 April 2017 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Pace is currently offline David PaceFriend
Thank you very much for your fast response. It would be great if the fix could be included in the DSL package.

I know that a new launch configuration can easily be created in the launch configuration dialog, however the pre-generated launch configuration is great for new users. In particular, I am going to introduce Xtext to some of my students next week, demonstrating how easy languages can be developed with Xtext. Some of them might not be familiar with Eclipse Concepts like Launch Configurations etc. so for them it would be great to have a launch configuration already in place.

Thank you for the amazing work you all put in Xtext.
Best Regards,
Dave
Re: Launch Runtime Eclipse run configuration unreliable? [message #1760031 is a reply to message #1760030] Fri, 21 April 2017 11:00 Go to previous message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
yes (the bug is fixed in 2.11 but that has another bug that is fixed in 2.12)
i assume both will ne contained in the oxygen dsl package

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Previous Topic:Multiple versions of a grammar in parallel
Next Topic:XText category not available on update site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:45:58 GMT 2024