Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Does Eclipse create a new Jre for JDT ?(What happens when we have a new Installed Jre)
Does Eclipse create a new Jre for JDT ? [message #1716326] Thu, 03 December 2015 03:49 Go to next message
Sony Antony is currently offline Sony AntonyFriend
So Eclipse starts on the jre specified in eclipse.ini ( -vm )
1. When does it switch to the 'Installed JRE" if a different one is specified ?
( During JDT start ? Or only during java compile ? )

2. is the Installed Jre run as a new process ? ( Or is it somehow run as a new thread ? )
( It has to be a new process as you can give different memory limits to the Installed Jre )

3. I know eclipse can be directly started using java/javaw . I was thinking that the initial native code will launch java/javaw after showing the splash screen. But when I looked at the processes in windows task manager, I only saw eclipse.exe

Re: Does Eclipse create a new Jre for JDT ? [message #1716388 is a reply to message #1716326] Thu, 03 December 2015 12:40 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
The preferences under Java > Installed JREs are not used for running eclipse, but as the runtime for programs developed with JDT. As such you can configure your Java project to find the runtime libraries (rt.jar etc) in any of the installed JREs and when running / debugging your application you can choose between any of the installed JREs.

I don't think there is any use case for switching Eclipse itself from one JRE to another, i.e., specifying -vm in eclipse.ini once and for all should be sufficient.

HTH,
Stephan
Previous Topic:Eclipse and Portlets
Next Topic:How to show Functions of a Python-File in the Package Explorer/Navigator on the left side?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:54:56 GMT 2024