Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How can I get old functionality back?(Having issues with Eclipse and Buildship)
How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716159] Tue, 01 December 2015 19:23 Go to next message
Bob Wakefield is currently offline Bob WakefieldFriend
I'm somewhat new to Java which is to say that I'm familiar with the language but I don't write software professionally.

The classes that I work on are pretty small; usually less than 100 lines. I started using Buildship because I wanted to learn Gradle but there are some things I don't understand about Gradle so I wanted to simplify things until I knew more.

Before I created my first Gradle project, my Eclipse had a certain look and feel to it. Now it assumes that everything is a Gradle project. I just want to go back to being able to run the class that I'm working on and seeing the output in the console without all the extra complexity of having to run a "configuration". How can I do that?
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716161 is a reply to message #1716159] Tue, 01 December 2015 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 12/01/2015 12:23 PM, Bob Wakefield wrote:
> I'm somewhat new to Java which is to say that I'm familiar with the
> language but I don't write software professionally.
> The classes that I work on are pretty small; usually less than 100
> lines. I started using Buildship because I wanted to learn Gradle but
> there are some things I don't understand about Gradle so I wanted to
> simplify things until I knew more.
> Before I created my first Gradle project, my Eclipse had a certain look
> and feel to it. Now it assumes that everything is a Gradle project. I
> just want to go back to being able to run the class that I'm working on
> and seeing the output in the console without all the extra complexity of
> having to run a "configuration". How can I do that?

Like many technologies, I think Gradle really isn't Eclipse, but
something you add on. For this reason, you'll be looking for support
either from Buildship (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/309/)
or from Gradle itself (https://discuss.gradle.org/), but more likely
from Buildship.
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716162 is a reply to message #1716161] Tue, 01 December 2015 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's where I started. Do you know what they said? "This isn't a gradle or buildship issue." Very Happy
I understand that Buildship is a plug in but it came standard in Mars; I didn't have to install it. Everything was cool until I created my first Gradle project then Buildship just kind of took over my Eclipse. I'm not sure how to turn Buildship off and the Gradle forums are no help.
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716164 is a reply to message #1716162] Tue, 01 December 2015 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm trying to post a link to the discussion in the Gradle forums but getting an error: "You can only use links to eclipse.org sites while you have fewer than 5 messages." No idea what that even means.
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716168 is a reply to message #1716164] Tue, 01 December 2015 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Bob Wakefield wrote on Tue, 01 December 2015 22:00
I'm trying to post a link to the discussion in the Gradle forums but getting an error: "You can only use links to eclipse.org sites while you have fewer than 5 messages." No idea what that even means.

The forum system prevents users from posting links outside the Eclipse domain until you're been on the forum for at least five sent messages. You can get around the limitation by lightly munging the link so that the forum engine does not see it as an outside link.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716174 is a reply to message #1716162] Tue, 01 December 2015 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 12/01/2015 12:57 PM, Bob Wakefield wrote:
> Yeah that's where I started. Do you know what they said? "This isn't a
> gradle or buildship issue." :d
> I understand that Buildship is a plug in but it came standard in Mars; I
> didn't have to install it. Everything was cool until I created my first
> Gradle project then Buildship just kind of took over my Eclipse. I'm not
> sure how to turn Buildship off and the Gradle forums are no help.

Bob,

Awaiting a solution, you could just install a second copy of Mars and
begin using that for non-Buildship work.

Best,

Russ
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716247 is a reply to message #1716174] Wed, 02 December 2015 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Bob, I don't understand what you mean by "Gradle took over my Eclipse." Can you give more details, maybe even some screen shots. I have 2 different Eclipse installations with Buildship, but I'm not seeing anything unexpected from them.
Also, have you tried just creating a new workspace?
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716271 is a reply to message #1716174] Wed, 02 December 2015 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually did a wipe and reinstall and then everything was all good until I connected to the old workspace. I was unaware that you could have separate workspaces so I separated everything into a gradle/non gradle workspace and that's got me back to where I want to be.
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716275 is a reply to message #1716247] Wed, 02 December 2015 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Creating a separate non-gradle workspace is what got it. Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't even aware you could do that.

What I mean by taking over is that Eclipse was basically forcing me to make everything a Gradle project. In the screen shot you can see that I have my HelloWorld class. All I want to do is to be able to run that class. When I go to hit the Run button, as you can see in the screen shot, running my class isn't even an option.

I actually solved this while I was writing this post. I went to the menu options Run -> Run and it ran and then THAT action actually added back the ability to run the class to my Run button. Weird.
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716299 is a reply to message #1716275] Wed, 02 December 2015 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Ah, it makes a little more sense now.
I think what you were running into is a configurable behavior about the Run toolbar button. Basically, its default behavior is to run whatever the last application you ran, not what you are currently looking at. It can be configured in Preferences to launch whatever editor has focus, which sounds like what you were expecting to happen.
See this for more details.
Re: How can I get old functionality back? [message #1716305 is a reply to message #1716299] Wed, 02 December 2015 18:59 Go to previous message
Hey thanks! Yeah that nailed it without doing the extra steps!
Previous Topic:Compiling error
Next Topic:Download plugins from the marketplace, not install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:57:17 GMT 2024