Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop(Project build problem)
sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1715910] Fri, 27 November 2015 15:11 Go to next message
mahesh reddy is currently offline mahesh reddyFriend
Hi All,

I am using TTCN-3 tool inorder to develope basic test cases. I have downloaded the files and followed the documentation and installed corectly ( I hope). But when I build project I am getting the following error.

sh -c make dep
make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop.
Operation failed with return value: 2

I looked at makefile (I have not understood all but figure out that the problem caused line ). The problem caused line in makefile is

# Dependency files of this project that are needed for the executable test suite:
DEPFILES = $(USER_OBJECTS:.o=.d) $(GENERATED_OBJECTS:.o=.d)

Can someone please discribe me whats wrong I have done.

thanks
Mahesh
Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1716083 is a reply to message #1715910] Tue, 01 December 2015 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Mahesh,

you should not run make dep; make will create dependencies ;

(optionally ) run a
make clean

then
make

BTW, is there any reason you need to start a new shell?

All command can be run from the current shell.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1716122 is a reply to message #1716083] Tue, 01 December 2015 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeno Attila Balasko is currently offline Jeno Attila BalaskoFriend

Hi,
I suppose this command is started from eclipse.
I suppose also that you chose incremental dependency in Project Properties thus it tries to create .d dependency files from "IP_EncDec.cc" according to the rule you recognized.
Haven't you modified the files manually?
Haven't you excluded IP_EncDec.cc from the build?
Haven't you had a problem when imported this project ( via tpd?) ?

BR
Jeno Balasko

Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1716127 is a reply to message #1716122] Tue, 01 December 2015 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mahesh,

I believe it's more productive if you get familiar with the command line first and start using Eclipse IDE only after a couple of months of command line usage.
Compilation and execution happens in the Titan core, and the Eclipse plug-ins are a layer of complication that might confuse new users.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1716128 is a reply to message #1716122] Tue, 01 December 2015 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mahesh,

I believe it's more productive if you get familiar with the command line first and start using Eclipse IDE only after a couple of months of command line usage.
Compilation and execution happens in the Titan core, and the Eclipse plug-ins are a layer of complication that might confuse new users.

Best regards
Elemer

Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1716199 is a reply to message #1716128] Wed, 02 December 2015 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mahesh reddy is currently offline mahesh reddyFriend
Hi Jeno BalaskoFriend and Elemer,

Thank you so much for your answer. I have taken a files those are alredy built (which were in the bin folder). I have cleaned the bin folder and now everything working fine. Thanks.

Regards,
Mahesh
Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1716205 is a reply to message #1716199] Wed, 02 December 2015 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI Mahesh,

Great, congratulations! Wish you success with Titan.

Best regards
Elemer
Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1722524 is a reply to message #1716205] Fri, 05 February 2016 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sharon Makgoshing is currently offline Sharon MakgoshingFriend
Hi Elemer,

I am getting an error message when i execute on Eclipse Titan
"The version of the compiler used: could not be determined"

I referred to the path but same error populate.

Please assist.

Kind regards
Sharon
Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1722525 is a reply to message #1722524] Fri, 05 February 2016 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sharon Makgoshing is currently offline Sharon MakgoshingFriend
This is my titan installation path
/home/sharon/Documents/ttc3/eclipse/plugins/ttcn3-5.4.pl0-linux32-gcc4.3-sled11.1

Kind regards
Sharon
Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1722594 is a reply to message #1722525] Sat, 06 February 2016 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Sharon
I suppose this is the path of your Titan plugin for Eclipse. There is another part of Titan: the Titan Ecxecutor. It contains all executables, such as compiler, mctr_cli (main controller , command line version) and supporting utilities. Titan plugin uses its resources to compile and execute ttcn files/projects. $TTCN3_DIR shall be set to the root of Titan Executor. In Eclipse you should set this folder as Titan install path (Window>Preferences>Titan Preferences). The root directory of Titan Executor contains these subdirectories: bin, demo, doc, etc, help, include, lib, man. I suggest to read at first the usrguide.pdf and the installguide.pdf. It can be found in the doc folder.
BR Jeno Balasko, Titan Team, Ericsson
Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1722595 is a reply to message #1722594] Sat, 06 February 2016 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hmm, the folder name seems to be the name of the Titan Executor, Linux, Sled but it is under "plugins".
It was a little bit confusing.
If everything is set properly, and you type from command line
> compiler -v
then the version of your compiler appear. But I think the location of you Titan executor is really wrong:
/home/sharon/Documents/ttc3/eclipse/plugins/ttcn3-5.4.pl0-linux32-gcc4.3-sled11.1
is force Eclipse to analyze dir ttcn3-5.4.pl0-linux32-gcc4.3-sled11.1 as a plugin. Eclipse cannot do it but spend time.\
I would suggest to move the last folder under ttcn3:
/home/sharon/Documents/ttc3/ttcn3-5.4.pl0-linux32-gcc4.3-sled11.1
After this you should set $TTCN3_DIR, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and $PATH according to the installguide.pdf and set the "Titan install path" in Eclipse to this directory.
BR
Jeno

Re: sh -c make dep make: *** No rule to make target `IP_EncDec.d', needed by `dep'. Stop [message #1722604 is a reply to message #1722595] Sat, 06 February 2016 14:52 Go to previous message
Hi Sharon,

one question: I understood from your previous post that your Eclipse is installed on Ubuntu,
but your Titan core seems to be of SLED variety; something does not seem to be right here; or do I misunderstand something?

BR Elemer
Previous Topic:Titan Eclipse plug-ins released in open source
Next Topic:Multiple ports of same port type
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:07:30 GMT 2024