Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang(Makes product unusable)
All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714587] Fri, 13 November 2015 17:23 Go to next message
Nicole King is currently offline Nicole KingFriend
I'm a long-time user of Eclipse. After a short break from development, I installed Mars on my Arch Linux PC. No wizards will ever run to completion. I cannot, for example, create a new project: the dialogue box just hangs there with the "wait" cursor showing.

What information can I collect to help diagnose this problem?
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714592 is a reply to message #1714587] Fri, 13 November 2015 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 11/13/2015 10:28 AM, Nicole King wrote:
> I'm a long-time user of Eclipse. After a short break from development, I
> installed Mars on my Arch Linux PC. No wizards will ever run to
> completion. I cannot, for example, create a new project: the dialogue
> box just hangs there with the "wait" cursor showing.
>
> What information can I collect to help diagnose this problem?

You got what you downloaded from eclipse.org, right?
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714599 is a reply to message #1714587] Fri, 13 November 2015 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
This may not have anything to do with your problem, but there was an issue with GTK2 Oxygen theme (on Ububtu KDE) and Eclipse Luna dialog boxes. The problem was avoided by changing the GTK theme.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714604 is a reply to message #1714599] Fri, 13 November 2015 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! That was a quick reply. I was quite dubious about your suggestion, but have been prepared to try anything ever since I discovered that MS-Net Lan software in MS-DOS would misbehave (read: not work!) unless there was a semi-colon at the end of the PATH environment variable.

Unfortunately, this was not be. I've tried changing the theme, selecting in turn each of those I have available. I wasn't, in any case, using Oxygen. Thanks, Tauno, for your suggestion, but it didn't work.

Nicole

PS. I like your name. Is it Finnish or Estonian? My husband is Karelian (child of refugees when Russia annexed it).
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714620 is a reply to message #1714587] Sat, 14 November 2015 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael mayer is currently offline michael mayerFriend
We might be having the same problem here, I am running archlinux as well. Eclipse was fine until I was a system update around the middle of October. Now all I can do is open it up. When I click to run a .java, nothing. I also noticed the preferences menu will not let me select anything in there, and am unable to create new projects.

I tried to rollback to 10/5/2015 and all was fine. Then when I ran a system update, hoping it was fixed, it was back not working again. After realizing this I tried to rollback again and couldn't. So now I am stuck trying to figure this out. I noticed that there was a kernel update, openjdk, and eclipse updates all with the system update that killed eclipse. I have been using jgrasp since.
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714630 is a reply to message #1714604] Sat, 14 November 2015 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicole King wrote on Fri, 13 November 2015 22:03

PS. I like your name. Is it Finnish or Estonian? My husband is Karelian (child of refugees when Russia annexed it).

Finnish - but Estonian is not so far off ...
Actually, I have Finnish and Swedish roots.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714631 is a reply to message #1714630] Sat, 14 November 2015 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One more idea ...

The problem may be in GTK. You could try switching between GTK3 and GTK2.
There is a setting in the eclipse.ini file, but I do not remember it now.

Mars works in my installations of Mac OS X 10.9.5 and Kubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714633 is a reply to message #1714592] Sat, 14 November 2015 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it's downloaded from the Eclipse web site.

Last night I needed to create a C++ project. After clicking "Finish" the wait cursor came on. I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, the dialogue box still had not finished.

I killed eclipse and restarted it. Now I have 390 "problems" listed. They are all of the form:
Unknown xxx Unknown Unknown org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Marker@185220 is not of a displayable type

[Updated on: Sat, 14 November 2015 10:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714642 is a reply to message #1714630] Sat, 14 November 2015 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 11/14/2015 03:08 AM, Tauno Voipio wrote:
> Nicole King wrote on Fri, 13 November 2015 22:03
>> PS. I like your name. Is it Finnish or Estonian? My husband is
>> Karelian (child of refugees when Russia annexed it).
>
>
> Finnish - but Estonian is not so far off ...
> Actually, I have Finnish and Swedish roots.

(Tervetuola, Tauno--Russ, huge fan of Sibelius and the Kalevala)
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714643 is a reply to message #1714631] Sat, 14 November 2015 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 14.11.2015 um 11:12 schrieb Tauno Voipio:
> One more idea ...
>
> The problem may be in GTK. You could try switching between GTK3 and GTK2.
> There is a setting in the eclipse.ini file, but I do not remember it now.
Add this program arg (not as VM arg):

--launcher.GTK_version

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

>
> Mars works in my installations of Mac OS X 10.9.5 and Kubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS.
>

Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714660 is a reply to message #1714643] Sun, 15 November 2015 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wooot! That's fantastic, Eike! It's cured at least one of the hang-ups I've been experiencing. I put the two lines you suggested at the beginning of the eclipse.ini file located in the eclipse "home" directory. (I have eclipse installed under opt, with all its associated files there, too.)
Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714661 is a reply to message #1714620] Sun, 15 November 2015 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael,

Try Eike's solution given above. It's been very useful for me.

I suppose someone should report this on the Arch Linux bug reporting system. I'm reluctant to do this because I have no idea what the cause of the problem and I have even less idea of when the problem first manifested itself (in terms of associated updates in other products).

In summary, I don't want to report this, because I cannot provide any useful pointers to the cause. Do you think you would be able to do so? Or, are you in the same position as me?

Nicole

[Updated on: Sun, 15 November 2015 07:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: All Eclipse Mars Dialogs Hang [message #1714962 is a reply to message #1714661] Wed, 18 November 2015 02:40 Go to previous message
michael mayer is currently offline michael mayerFriend
That did fix things, it must be a problem with GTK3. I think I remember reading somewhere in a archlinux forum about it. There just wasn't any explanation about how to go about fixing it.
Previous Topic:Can I open an Open-source program in Eclipse
Next Topic:Error code 143
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 15:47:29 GMT 2024