Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Vorto » Repository hosting strategies
Repository hosting strategies [message #1713446] Wed, 04 November 2015 09:04 Go to next message
Henryk Konsek is currently offline Henryk KonsekFriend
Hi,

Can I host my own "corporate" information model repository? And should I? Smile Or should we use the official Eclipse repository?

Cheers!
Re: Repository hosting strategies [message #1713499 is a reply to message #1713446] Wed, 04 November 2015 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olaf Weinmann is currently offline Olaf WeinmannFriend
Hi Henryk,

I would say it depends on what you want to achieve. If you want a private repository for models that you do not want to be public, it makes totally sense. If you want a repository to make your models public then I would recommend the "official" public Vorto repository.

Currently there is no connection between different Vorto repositories. The underlying technology of the repository (ModeShape) supports a federation of repositories but we currently do not use it. However this is an interesting aspect.

Cheers,

Olaf
Re: Repository hosting strategies [message #1713502 is a reply to message #1713499] Wed, 04 November 2015 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Olaf,

Many thanks for the answer.

I'm wondering what are the rules regarding publication of the model to a public repo. Is that similar to Maven Central or DockerHub i.e. I can publish anything I want there? Or is there a kind of moderation process?

Cheers!
Re: Repository hosting strategies [message #1713567 is a reply to message #1713502] Thu, 05 November 2015 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Henryk,

In the very beginning we would like to do crowdsourcing. After there is a critical mass in the repository available we would like to establish a governance which supports the creation of curated models.

Currently we are discussing how to establish such a governance. Regarding this we are looking for input. Smile

Cheers,

Olaf
Re: Repository hosting strategies [message #1713667 is a reply to message #1713567] Thu, 05 November 2015 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe that many companies would like to have their private repositories regardless of the pubic repo. I would say that Maven/Docker approach is fine i.e.:
- you can push anything to public repo, even rubbish Smile This is required to make public repo scalable - it must not need human moderation process IMHO. There is a lots of garbage in Maven Central and DockerHub and a world can still live with that Smile
- companies should be able to easily host their private repositories

Is there any document describing how to host a private repository?

Thanks!
Re: Repository hosting strategies [message #1713760 is a reply to message #1713667] Fri, 06 November 2015 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Henryk,

Hmmm... I think a governance for the repo should be established. This governance in the end shall make interoperability possible by harmonizing and curating the contents of the repo. Don't you think so?

The Vorto repo ist just a webapplication for which the sources are also available on GitHub. Companies can host it in an application server - but we do currently not have a document describing this process. Sad
We should definitely add more documentation for the repo!

Regards,

Olaf

Re: Repository hosting strategies [message #1715360 is a reply to message #1713760] Sun, 22 November 2015 20:04 Go to previous message
Many thanks for the information, Olaf!
Previous Topic:info model errors in eclipse Luna
Next Topic:Does Vorto work on Mars?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:11:40 GMT 2024