Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Kepler & Mars(Integrating these two different IDE)
Kepler & Mars [message #1713326] Tue, 03 November 2015 11:27 Go to next message
Davide Vacca is currently offline Davide VaccaFriend
Hello to everybody,

I have just downloaded Kepler package but because of I have already downloaded Mars package I want to know if there is a possibility do "install" Kepler package inside Mars.
i.e. I would like having only an "eclipse.exe" file and the possibility to choose between Mars or Kepler (or another additional package in case I will download a third one).
Advanced thanks for the reply.
Davide
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713365 is a reply to message #1713326] Tue, 03 November 2015 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Kepler and Mars are different versions of the same thing. Which files of both did you download and want to combine?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713450 is a reply to message #1713365] Wed, 04 November 2015 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have downloaded both Kepler and Mars and now I have two different folders.... my intention is to combine both in order I have only a folder, only an .exe file running it I can choose between both (or another additional eclipse package in the future)
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713473 is a reply to message #1713450] Wed, 04 November 2015 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Davide,

That doesn't really make sense. They're just different versions of the
same thing. It's like wanting to combine Firefox 41.0.1 and 41.0.2.
What would that mean?

On 04/11/2015 10:12 AM, Davide Vacca wrote:
> I have downloaded both Kepler and Mars and now I have two different
> folders.... my intention is to combine both in order I have only a
> folder, only an .exe file running it I can choose between both (or
> another additional eclipse package in the future)

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713486 is a reply to message #1713473] Wed, 04 November 2015 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not exacly understood what you've written.... Firefox 41.0.1 is the previous version of Firefox 41.0.2, right ?
That does not apply with Eclipse Kepler and Eclipse Mars, since they are different packages, one for PHP developpers and the other for Java, right ?
I'd like integrating these two different packages.
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713506 is a reply to message #1713486] Wed, 04 November 2015 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently online Tauno VoipioFriend
Davide Vacca wrote on Wed, 04 November 2015 16:41
I have not exacly understood what you've written.... Firefox 41.0.1 is the previous version of Firefox 41.0.2, right ?
That does not apply with Eclipse Kepler and Eclipse Mars, since they are different packages, one for PHP developpers and the other for Java, right ?
I'd like integrating these two different packages.

You're mixing two different things: Kepler (Luna) and Mars are releases of the whole Eclipse system.

Java and PHP are different targets for either system. Pick the newer of your systems, open the Help -> Install new Software dialog, select the base repository (like http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna, substitute your release to the last path component). Open the filled-up list and pick either Programming Languages -> Java or WEB, XML Java EE and OSGI Enterprise -> PHP, and let Eclipse do the job.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713513 is a reply to message #1713506] Wed, 04 November 2015 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am starting to understand (a little.... but at least I am starting to understand).
Aniway I am getting this screenshto, could you continue helping me pls. ?index.php/fa/23833/0/
  • Attachment: Immagine.png
    (Size: 31.92KB, Downloaded 4662 times)
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713518 is a reply to message #1713513] Wed, 04 November 2015 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have an extra comma at the end of the link, but Luna is, for sure, incorrect for your installation.

If you have not used either version (Kepler / Mars) yet, please do:

1. Get the Eclipse Mars installer from https://eclipse.org/downloads.
Pick the version that matches your operating system and Java.
My guess is Windows 32 bit or Windows 64 bit for you.

2. Use the installer to get Eclipse Mars for Java Developers

3. Start the installed Eclipse, use its Help -> Install new Software to install the PHP modules.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713719 is a reply to message #1713518] Fri, 06 November 2015 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for continue in helping me and sorry if I am hard in understanding your explanations...
I have followed your instrucition and I have noticed that you have suggested me to download (ad install) Mars planet.... i.e. I have noticed there are Mars for PHP and Mars for Java and so on....
So I am asking you which are the differences between Mars version, Luna version, Keplero version etc. ?
Thank you again for your patience....
Davide
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713758 is a reply to message #1713719] Fri, 06 November 2015 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Install Mars for Java developers, so you will get a system for Java. (see my previous response point 2).

After bringing it up and checking that it works, you can add the PHP toolset to the same installation.

The installer should check that you install the everything with the bitness (32 or 64) matching your Java.
----

The difference between Kepler, Luna and Mars it the age of the system. Kepler is the oldest (there are still older around, like Helios). Mars.1 is the currently recommended release. The installer will pick it and the installer protects you from many installation problems - use it.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713807 is a reply to message #1713758] Fri, 06 November 2015 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Each year, Eclipse has a major release of pre-assembled packages. Those releases are given (somewhat arbitrary) names that progress in alphabetical order (a convention established by the Eclipse project management many years ago): ...Helios (2010)...Indigo (2011)...Juno (2012)...Kepler (2013)...Luna (2014)...Mars (2015)...Neon (2016 release)...

For each of those yearly releases, there are different packages; packages are are pre-assembled sets of plug-ins that are tested together. Packages from the same release can be combined together (for example, Install the PHP plug-ins into an installation of Eclipse IDE for Java Developers). However, different releases can not be combined together; that would be like saying I want to combine Windows 7 with Windows 8 - doesn't make sense.

So if you get, for example, Mars release of Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, Mars is the release (aka, "version") and Eclipse IDE for Java Developers is the package. If someone asks, "What version of Eclipse do you have?" it's best to answer with both pieces of information.
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713910 is a reply to message #1713807] Sun, 08 November 2015 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,
Thanks you again for your explanations.... so how could know which release may best fit my needs ?
i.e.; I am a Java and a PHP developers, how can I choose among Luna, Mars or Kepler pacakages ?
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1713919 is a reply to message #1713910] Sun, 08 November 2015 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars is the current release. Kepler and Luna are old.

Mars has the extra advantage of a good installer. Please follow my instructions in previous posts.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Kepler & Mars [message #1714308 is a reply to message #1713919] Wed, 11 November 2015 16:04 Go to previous message
Ok, now it's all clear...
Thank you very much for your assistence.
Previous Topic:Cannot add JAR to project
Next Topic:[SOLVED] How do I install the marketplace on eclipse MARS ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:07:49 GMT 2024