Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » [Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse
[Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse [message #1712339] Fri, 23 October 2015 08:07 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
We have posted a new blog post "When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse".

index.php/fa/23673/0/

index.php/fa/23674/0/

Please use this forum thread to share your thoughts and pose any questions.
  • Attachment: open_type.png
    (Size: 22.15KB, Downloaded 307 times)
  • Attachment: neon.png
    (Size: 18.55KB, Downloaded 316 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 23 October 2015 08:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse [message #1712370 is a reply to message #1712339] Fri, 23 October 2015 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joerg Buchberger is currently offline Joerg BuchbergerFriend
Thanks. Honestly, you guys at eclipse are doing great work!

This experience is from other Eclipse projects and 100% personal, subjective and non-representative:
The guys from JDT and Oomph are extremely responsive, constructive, helpful and fast.
I had bad experiences, too, but don't want to mention the project names here.
To avoid any misunderstandings: It's not about Scout.

Just want to also note, that when searching bugs at eclipse, using
Status=NEW
and
Resolution=---

you'll get around 10'000 with last change between 2003-2009 and roughly another 10'000 for each year thereafter,
making it around 70'000 unresolved new bugs in total, that have not been touched in a while.
Of course, some of those either do not apply anymore due to changes and fixes done elsewhere.
And many of these issues might be very low profile, however, how to find the important ones?

If you would spend just 1min to check each one, you talk about an effort of more than half a year for a single person.
It might qualify as torture to assign such a boring task to someone.

Good luck catching the most critical needles in the haystack.

Cheers
Jörg

Re: [Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse [message #1712750 is a reply to message #1712370] Tue, 27 October 2015 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
Good luck catching the most critical needles in the haystack.

In my experience the best weapon is closely watching the bugs as they come in, classifying them as: can be closed today, this week, next milestone, next major release.
Anything beyond these buckets inevitably ends up on the big pile.
But the important ones on the pile will show activity later again (on the old bug or as a duplicate), in which case they may be reclassified.
It's a bit like surfing on a big and fast wave Smile

Makes sense?

Stephan
PS: Thanks for the nice blog post!
Re: [Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse [message #1712777 is a reply to message #1712370] Wed, 28 October 2015 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joerg Buchberger wrote on Fri, 23 October 2015 12:37
(..) you'll get around 10'000 with last change between 2003-2009 and roughly another 10'000 for each year thereafter,
making it around 70'000 unresolved new bugs in total, that have not been touched in a while.

About the number of Bugs in Bugzilla: I am not sure if they tell anything about the quality of an open source project.

Yes some bugs are old. Some are not well documented, hard to reproduce... Some bugs are also just opinions "it should works like that". Old and wide used open-source projects have tons of bugs in their bug tracker.

I have no problem to recognize that some areas of Eclipse IDE or some eclipse projects are not really actively maintained, but this has nothing to do with the Bug tracker.

My guess is it is more or less the same story on every open source project. It is part of the game.

Old proprietary software is probably exactly like that, the only difference with open-source is that the tracker is public.
Re: [Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse [message #1712871 is a reply to message #1712370] Thu, 29 October 2015 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am forwarding a Twitt written by Wayne Beaton.

I have asked him if the number of bugs in Bugzilla tells anything about the quality ot the Eclipse projects.

Wayne Beaton
Not directly, no. It's probably more of a reflection of how much the community cares about your software.

(discussion on Twitter)
Re: [Blog Post] When reporting a bug helps to improve Eclipse [message #1712896 is a reply to message #1712750] Thu, 29 October 2015 08:52 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Tue, 27 October 2015 23:55
PS: Thanks for the nice blog post!

You're welcome!

This is my way of celebrating "good stuff with Eclipse".

I wanted to outline the fact that instead of being annoyed with something that do not work correctly in eclipse, you can at least isolate it and report a reproducible bug.

In our case the fix seems pretty easy (most of the code lines in the patch are for the creation of an additional unit test) and I wonder why we did not report this bug before. I am well aware that this is the happy case scenario. It is probably my motivation to share it with the community (and I hope other people will do likewise).
It is also a nice story to tell inside our company.
Previous Topic:[Neon] Tell browser to open downloaded file in new browser window
Next Topic:Textfields as ToolItems in Forms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:53:36 GMT 2024