Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EDAPT] EFactory questions
[EDAPT] EFactory questions [message #1711028] Mon, 12 October 2015 13:28 Go to next message
Brad Schneider is currently offline Brad SchneiderFriend
I am wondering if someone could explain a bit about how Edapt chooses an appropriate EFactory for loading an out-dated model during migration. From what I can tell at runtime, a default EFactoryImpl is being used. However, we have extra logic in our EFactory for the createFromString method, so I need a custom implementation.

I'm trying to find if there is a "correct" or "most appropriate" way of handling this provided by the framework. If there is not a built-in method for handling this, will it be enough to retain a base version of the factory with the enhanced createFromString method, and register that to the old namespace URI(s) before migration? I haven't been able to find where the specific version of the EFactory to use for loading the old model is being set. Conceptually, I'm not certain on how I should expect Edapt to be able to handle this.

Thanks for your help!
Re: [EDAPT] EFactory questions [message #1711248 is a reply to message #1711028] Wed, 14 October 2015 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Hi Brad,

sorry for the delayed reply. Johannes will get back to you today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Maximilian

On 12.10.2015 15:28, Brad Schneider wrote:
> I am wondering if someone could explain a bit about how Edapt chooses an appropriate EFactory for
> loading an out-dated model during migration. From what I can tell at runtime, a default EFactoryImpl
> is being used. However, we have extra logic in our EFactory for the createFromString method, so I
> need a custom implementation.
>
> I'm trying to find if there is a "correct" or "most appropriate" way of handling this provided by
> the framework. If there is not a built-in method for handling this, will it be enough to retain a
> base version of the factory with the enhanced createFromString method, and register that to the old
> namespace URI(s) before migration? I haven't been able to find where the specific version of the
> EFactory to use for loading the old model is being set. Conceptually, I'm not certain on how I
> should expect Edapt to be able to handle this.
>
> Thanks for your help!

--
Maximilian Koegel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: [EDAPT] EFactory questions [message #1711284 is a reply to message #1711248] Wed, 14 October 2015 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Faltermeier is currently offline Johannes FaltermeierFriend

Hi Brad,

Edapt offers an extension point to register custom efactories. We are currently working on documentation for this feature.
A preliminary version is available from here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lpYRuufQkwI59TpJv3bptkru8iL3fQLbXMxC7lWqQIo/edit?usp=sharing
I will post the final link once available.

Regards
Johannes

Johannes Faltermeier

Re: [EDAPT] EFactory questions [message #1711374 is a reply to message #1711284] Thu, 15 October 2015 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you guys for the replies. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Re: [EDAPT] EFactory questions [message #1713517 is a reply to message #1711374] Wed, 04 November 2015 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to revive an old thread, but I just realized that this appears to apply only to "top level" packages. For a sub-package within an EPackage inside of a metamodel, it is not possible to use the extension point to override the EFactory. Is this true? Is there a different way to accomplish this?

EDIT: Here's the code I'm referring to in Persistency.class:
for (final EObject element : resource.getContents()) {
				if (element instanceof EPackage) {
					final EPackage ePackage = (EPackage) element;
					FactoryHelper.INSTANCE.overrideFactory(ePackage);
					metamodelResource.getRootPackages().add(ePackage);
				}
			}

That is only iterating over top-level EPackages in the metamodel, and the call to FactoryHelper.overrideFactory(EPackage ePackage) does not iterate over sub-packages for the EPackage, either.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 November 2015 17:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [EDAPT] EFactory questions [message #1714011 is a reply to message #1713517] Mon, 09 November 2015 11:49 Go to previous message
Johannes Faltermeier is currently offline Johannes FaltermeierFriend

Hi Brad,

Good catch. Could you kindly create a bug-report for this?
Also contributions are always welcome Smile

Cheers
Johannes

Johannes Faltermeier

Previous Topic:[EMFStore] minor bug
Next Topic:[EMF Forms] Ecore Editor download?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:29:43 GMT 2024