Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Language parameter -nl does not work with the standalone help viewer
Language parameter -nl does not work with the standalone help viewer [message #1708574] Thu, 17 September 2015 15:14 Go to next message
Adrian Chaves is currently offline Adrian ChavesFriend
I have a custom help plugin in the plugin/ folder which contains an ns/fr/ folder for French localization. I copied the source toc.xml file into the fr/ folder and made some changes just so that I can notice when the loaded TOC is the French one and not the default, English TOC.

I installed the French language pack.

If I run Eclipse with "eclipse.exe -nl fr" and access to the list of help TOCs, the French version of my TOC appears, as expected. Eclipse appears in French as well.

According to the documentation:
Quote:
Additionally, most options accepted by Eclipse executable can be passed. They are especially useful during debugging and for applying customization to Eclipse. For example, passing an option

-nl fr_FR

will start help system in French language instead of a language specified by the machine's locale.

However, if I add "-nl fr" or "-nl fr_FR" to the standalone call, the help starts with both the standalone help viewer and the TOC in English.

This is how I call the viewer:

java -classpath <eclipsehome>\plugins\org.eclipse.help.base_<version>.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -command displayHelp -eclipsehome <eclipsehome> -nl fr

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it not possible to have a localized standalone help viewer?
Re: Language parameter -nl does not work with the standalone help viewer [message #1708586 is a reply to message #1708574] Thu, 17 September 2015 16:59 Go to previous message
Jennifer Skiendzielewski is currently offline Jennifer SkiendzielewskiFriend
I've been fighting language issues with Eclipse for a long time. I usually run in InfoCenter mode, but maybe the issues are the same. Here's what I can tell you:

If I run the help system on a server and access it from my laptop, I can use the browser language settings to change the language of the help framework and the content. (Provided that I have everything configured correctly.)

If I run the help system on my laptop and access it from my laptop, the framework and the content *always* display in the language that my operating system is running in (which is English).

If I run the help system from a CD inserted in my laptop, the framework and the content *always* display in English.

If I take the same CD and insert it in a machine that's running in Spanish, the framework and the content *always* display in Spanish.

So, it could be that you have everything set up correctly, but that French won't show up because your operating system is English.

Also, I've always understood that the -nl flag on the command was used to enable different languages, not to force the help system to use them. So if I installed English as my default language and added translations for Spanish, French, and Japanese, then started Eclipse with your command, only the default and French packages are available. If I change my browser (or operating system) to Spanish, I will still see English. But if I change that flag to -nl fr es ja, the other two languages would be available too. I could be interpreting that wrong, but that's how I've been using it.

Hope that's useful information.

Previous Topic:Cheatsheet is not recognizing custom command parameters
Next Topic:Cheat sheet functionality
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:28:21 GMT 2024