Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Are there any good working e4 example?
Are there any good working e4 example? [message #1708088] Sat, 12 September 2015 13:41 Go to next message
Daniel Z. is currently offline Daniel Z.Friend
Hi guys,

I'd like to start with e4, development on one of my personal projects, and I've read a lot of the example blog posts like Vogella and others, but they almost completely talk about parts and dependency injection but, barely touch anything concerning application model and its contexts. There is a lot of theory out there but no extensive example at least none that I could find.

I've tried to clone stuff from https://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/UI/Running_CSS_demos but it has many errors and none of the applications start and menus mentioned by the author are not there,

What I'm looking for is a good example with as many e4 aspects implemented as possible, and not for an application with one part, menu and a button.

regards,
Daniel
Re: Are there any good working e4 example? [message #1708233 is a reply to message #1708088] Mon, 14 September 2015 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
I too had this problem. What seems to be happening is people who are good at writing don't write wiki pages. What they do is write books. There are some books that cover non-tivial examples. I can not post link to external sites. So the title of the one book I bought is below. This is not an endorsement. I found the book out of date. But they will get you past the point where you are stuck now.

Eclipse 4 plug-in Development by example by DR. Alex Blewitt. There are small little notes just for e4 on the example that is built up from from on chapter to another. Only chapter 7 cover only e4.

There is no e4 update to the book "eclipse Plug-ins" Third Edition by Eric Clayberg and Dan Rubel.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Are there any good working e4 example? [message #1708238 is a reply to message #1708233] Mon, 14 September 2015 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Van Steen is currently offline Joe Van SteenFriend
Have you reviewed the tutorials on the Vogella web site? http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseRCP/article.html

That set of tutorials is also available as a book.
Re: Are there any good working e4 example? [message #1708269 is a reply to message #1708238] Tue, 15 September 2015 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mihael Schmidt is currently offline Mihael SchmidtFriend
https://github.com/fipro78/e4-cookbook-migration-guide/tree/master/e4-based-application seems like a good start though I haven't dug into it yet.

There is also the Simple IDE project from Tom Schindl http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2010/05/31/the-simple-e4-ide/ . I know that there is somewhere a github repo of it but I can't find it atm.

Hope this helps.

Mihael
Re: Are there any good working e4 example? [message #1708742 is a reply to message #1708269] Sat, 19 September 2015 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Z. is currently offline Daniel Z.Friend
Thanks for the tips guys, I've see all this already, As I said I've see all this already stuff from vogella's blog is just too dry only theory no real code. For example, where and how should I load external libs that come from other projects or jars? how do I initialize stuff when application loads, etc.... all these things are just not very well explained. I'll check out the cookbook migration guide tomorrow.

BTW did any1 read this book www.vogella.com/books/eclipsercp.html ? Does it cover things in more detail?

regards
Re: Are there any good working e4 example? [message #1708745 is a reply to message #1708742] Sat, 19 September 2015 21:09 Go to previous message
Joe Van Steen is currently offline Joe Van SteenFriend
The Vogella book is the Third Edition and covers Eclipse 4.4, it is an upgrade from the 2nd Edition version which I read and suggested earlier. My version was Eclipse 4.3. The book is a book format collection of the information in the Vogella tutorials. The tutorials are more up to date, but the book puts the full set of tutorials together as a package. I believe he is developing a made up application through the lessons in the book, although I did not build it. I used it as a reference which I found very useful when looking for detail 'how to' material. It is also focused on SWT. I have since moved on to JavaFX with Efxclipse. However, learning e4 with SWT was helpful for me just to understand the application model, which sounds like something you are searching for.

Some things you are asking (external libraries) I don't think are any different in e4 development than in other non-e4 development. Other things (initialization) are. You need to actually build a small e4 app and see how the infrastructure does things for you based on your application model specifications. Vogella should be able to help you with that, but the tutorials are free, you do not need the whole book for that.

Part of the trouble with Vogella in my mind is that he jsu does stuff and doesn't always explain why. So it isn't always easy to extrapolate out to your own problem set.

If you want a quick small e4 sample application you might want to try https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/instant-eclipse-4-rcp-development-how-instant from Packt. It is available as ebook or hard copy. I found it useful to get a quick simple application up and running which could then be experimented with. If you use this book I advise caution. Some of the techniques suggested by the author involving playing with context features will not port to FX and, according to experts, are contrary to recommended practice. However, as a quick 'get started' study, I found it helpful to learn programming against the e4 application model.
Previous Topic:Undocking all parts results in deleting the perspective.
Next Topic:Quick Access not working in Luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:45:51 GMT 2024