Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Install ECF into Karaf Offline
Install ECF into Karaf Offline [message #1706706] Fri, 28 August 2015 21:08 Go to next message
David Sousa is currently offline David SousaFriend
What would be the best way to install ECF into Karaf when there is no access to the Internet? I have tried to use the features-maven-plugin to download the necessary jars while connected to the Internet, and make a custom ServiceMix distribution. However, this does not work with the Eclipse P2 update sites in the features.xml file, i.e. nothing is copied to the target repository.

I have also tried using the kar:create command to generate a KAR file for the ecf-remoteservices-sdk feature after having installed the feature while online. However, the KAR file simply contains an entry for the P2 site in the manifest.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Install ECF into Karaf Offline [message #1706708 is a reply to message #1706706] Fri, 28 August 2015 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
David Sousa wrote on Fri, 28 August 2015 17:08
What would be the best way to install ECF into Karaf when there is no access to the Internet? I have tried to use the features-maven-plugin to download the necessary jars while connected to the Internet, and make a custom ServiceMix distribution. However, this does not work with the Eclipse P2 update sites in the features.xml file, i.e. nothing is copied to the target repository.

I have also tried using the kar:create command to generate a KAR file for the ecf-remoteservices-sdk feature after having installed the feature while online. However, the KAR file simply contains an entry for the P2 site in the manifest.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi David,

We've been discussing this issue with Christian Schnieder among others. ECF does have a maven repo:

http://build.ecf-project.org/maven/3.10.1/

This contains all the ECF bundles as well as the Orbit bundles. However, we do have four dependencies on bundles managed by the Equinox project:

<bundle>
http://download.eclipse.org/equinox/drops/R-Luna-201406061215/org.eclipse.equinox.supplement_1.5.100.v20140428-1446.jar
</bundle>
<bundle start-level="50">
http://download.eclipse.org/equinox/drops/R-Luna-201406061215/org.eclipse.equinox.common_3.6.200.v20130402-1505.jar
</bundle>
<bundle>
http://download.eclipse.org/equinox/drops/R-Luna-201406061215/org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.6.0.v20140424-0053.jar
</bundle>
<bundle>
http://download.eclipse.org/equinox/drops/R-Luna-201406061215/org.eclipse.equinox.concurrent_1.1.0.v20130327-1442.jar
</bundle>

and as we/ECF don't maintain/manage these 4 bundles we can't add them to Maven central ourselves.

The Equinox team has agreed to eventually make all but one (core.jobs) of these bundles available at Maven central, but that hasn't been completed yet AFAIK and we will still need to get a hold of core.jobs somehow.

I'm willing to do what I can to meet your use case and other's, but since I'm not personally a maven expert I don't know what's the best course. I could perhaps create a maven repo and add the necessary Equinox dependencies to that custom repo, or create a zip that could be downloaded and used to install into Karaf. But I'm not sure what would be the best course or not. Please let me know what you think.

Re: Install ECF into Karaf Offline [message #1706710 is a reply to message #1706708] Sat, 29 August 2015 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Scott,

Good to hear that the topic is on the radar.

I'm new to Karaf/ECF, and no Maven expert either. But, it appears from this post servicemix.396122.n5.nabble.com/Servicemix-offline-package-installation-td5720803.html#none that creating a zip file would be the way to go.

It appears that the Karaf system folder is structured like a Maven repo. If there was an ECF zip file that was structured like a repo, then the contents of the zip file could be dropped into the system directory. Then, the command feature:repo-add [path to maven ECF feature.xml] could be used. Karaf would first try the system directory before attempting to use the Internet.

The automated way to create the offline structure using features-maven-plugin is described here stackoverflow.com/questions/28110588/apache-servicemix-5-x-full-version. Maybe there is a way to get most of the zip file created using the features-maven-plugin, and then finish the Equinox bits by hand.

Does this seem workable? I'm going to try, since I can't come up with a better idea. Hopefully, the transient dependencies won't be too much of a bear. It would be great if you could try something similar on your end as well. Thanks.

Re: Install ECF into Karaf Offline [message #1707174 is a reply to message #1706710] Wed, 02 September 2015 19:31 Go to previous message
Scott,

Just to close the loop on this. Creating a repository using features-maven-plugin and the ECF Maven repo worked great. I had to add the Equinox and Eclipse core bundles to my local repo using mvn install:install-file, and edit the karaf-features.xml file to use mvn instead of the p2 sites. Once the local target repo created by features-maven-plugin was copied to the ServiceMix system directory, then the ECF mvn repo could be added to Karaf by calling feature:repo-add <path to features.xml using mvn>.

I'm not sure if this approach would be appropriate for the "official" offline release, but it works fine for developers who don't mind building their own.
Previous Topic:How to track down java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
Next Topic:Installing Zookeeper Discovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:03:30 GMT 2024