Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Remove Quartz in favour of ScheduledExecutorService
Remove Quartz in favour of ScheduledExecutorService [message #1705818] Wed, 19 August 2015 11:06 Go to next message
Karel Goderis is currently offline Karel GoderisFriend
In OpenHAB 1 Quartz was introduced to allow easy cronjob-like scheduling for Rules

I am wondering if we should get rid of Quartz all together, and move as much functionality onto the ThreadPoolManager provided schedulers? As a bonus it would reduce the memory footprint of ESH/OH

With respect to the "cron" aspect of things, we could revert back to the CronExpression class of Quartz itself, or rely on external implementations like http://jarretttaylor.com/java/jt-cron.html or https://github.com/anderswisch/cron-expression

Any thoughts?

Karel
Re: Remove Quartz in favour of ScheduledExecutorService [message #1705891 is a reply to message #1705818] Wed, 19 August 2015 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
I think Quartz is doing a lot more then just executing a Task based on a cron expression. Not sure what is used actually used. With the new rule engine there is a chance to get rid off it. The scheduling is not yet implemented. But Quartz is only about 700kb, so I don´t see a big problem here.

Regards

Dennis
Re: Remove Quartz in favour of ScheduledExecutorService [message #1705900 is a reply to message #1705891] Wed, 19 August 2015 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, but at the time of OH1 I ran into a lot of issues with Quartz when developing the Sonos binding. I simply could not keep up with high rate job scheduling.

It is also used in the persistence packages.
Re: Remove Quartz in favour of ScheduledExecutorService [message #1707794 is a reply to message #1705900] Wed, 09 September 2015 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
I would agree with Dennis that we can treat Quartz as deprecated and don't build any extensions using it. Once we have new rule and persistence mechanisms that do not rely on Quartz, we can throw out this lib; until then, we will have to keep it in the stack (unless you see really a huge gain from changing the current implementations - I doubt it).
Re: Remove Quartz in favour of ScheduledExecutorService [message #1707801 is a reply to message #1707794] Wed, 09 September 2015 12:54 Go to previous message
No, nothing to be gained in the short term as you say.
Previous Topic:Exporting a Binding with custom Event to OpenHAB2.
Next Topic:Error: Could not find or load main class org.eclipse.emf.mwe2.launch.runtime.Mwe2Launcher
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:44:58 GMT 2024