Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » vmargs are not picked up | 3.6-Targetplatform Product exported in 4.5 IDE (Mars)
vmargs are not picked up | 3.6-Targetplatform Product exported in 4.5 IDE (Mars) [message #1703436] Fri, 31 July 2015 14:39 Go to next message
Daniel Mising name is currently offline Daniel Mising nameFriend
Hi there,

TL;DR:

• -vmargs present in [product].ini are ignored in an (via mars-ide) exported product launched via [product].exe BUT -vmargs are picked up when said (via mars-ide) exported product is launched with the [product].exe that was exported with luna-ide. (overwrite new exe with the one from luna export)
  • target platform for [product] is 3.6 based / IDE to export from is 4.5 based

- How can i reassure myself that using a Luna-Based [product].exe with a Mars-Based exported [product] is ok?
- Where can i find info what has changed in the launcher process between luna and mars?

Long Explanation: (everything following was done with win32bit distros eclipse/jvm in a Mars-Based-IDE)

- vm-args are configured in *.product - Launch Arguments
- launching via run/debug recognizes -vmargs
- exported products *.ini file has -vmargs in it
- launching exported product via [product].exe ignores -vmars in [product].ini

BUT:
-launching exported product (mars ide) with the exported product' exe taken from former luna-ide based export picks up -vmargs and sets them in running product.

Trying to get [product] working with a mars based Target Platform picks up the -vmargs again. But updating Targetplatform will be painful.

How can i reassure myself that using a Luna-Based [product].exe with a Mars-Based exported [product] is ok?

(Putting -vmargs in the commandline also works in Mars-Based Product! ... so it would be a viable fallback to call "[product].exe -vmargs -xms64m -xmx512m" for example)

Thank you for reading this far!
Daniel
Re: vmargs are not picked up | 3.6-Targetplatform Product exported in 4.5 IDE (Mars) [message #1703452 is a reply to message #1703436] Fri, 31 July 2015 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
So if I get this straight, you have a product based on Eclipse 3.6, but you're seeing different results when you export it from Eclipse Mars than Eclipse Juno.

My recommendation: adopt Tycho. The product export is baroque and hard to diagnose. Tycho is a command-line based builder and independent of the IDE version.

Brian.
Re: vmargs are not picked up | 3.6-Targetplatform Product exported in 4.5 IDE (Mars) [message #1703492 is a reply to message #1703452] Sat, 01 August 2015 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your quick answer, Brian!
Quote:
[...]when you export it from Eclipse Mars than Eclipse Juno.[...]

I don't think it makes a difference, but im coming from Luna(4.4.x) not Juno(4.2.x).

Quote:
[...]My recommendation: adopt Tycho.[...]

I understand that this is a very valid recommendation. I have already tinkered with tycho, liked it but realized that i have made some very wrong decisions when setting up my product ... and sadly these are currently in my way of adopting Tycho.

May i humbly ask again my two questions (or rather i'll stick to one of them)
Quote:
- Where can i find info what has changed in the launcher process between luna and mars?

I guess there will be a git repo and the corresponding bugzilla? The URL's to that would help ... I then could poke into that to maybe find some clues as I did not intend to ask for any solution to asking for pointers so that i can search and assess myself.

Actually this different behaviour of the launcher process (concerning picking up the -vmargs) has me puzzled, and currently i am no longer in the "diagnosing mode" ... because i still can supply the -vmargs on the commandline.

I realized that i know nearly nothing (but am curious) about the workings of the launcher ... even more curious after having found (and waded through) the bug concerning the different sized assignable memory sizes (xms/xmx + perm) which apparently is fixed but was(?) caused by the loading of the splashscreen (which split the available Memory when loaded into it) Link to Bug: (onwards from show_bug.cgi?id=188968#c23) So this is rather out of curiosity and learning interests. (2nd edit: The beforementioned Bug was filed under "Product: Equinox / Component: Launcher" ... would this thread more belong to the equinox subforum? I did hope to choose the right forum compartment, but if you seem it more fitting there feel free to move it)

Sorry for this wall of text ... apparently i am not able to contain myself in two lines of text. So Thank you even more when having read this far! :]
Daniel

[Updated on: Sat, 01 August 2015 09:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: vmargs are not picked up | 3.6-Targetplatform Product exported in 4.5 IDE (Mars) [message #1703584 is a reply to message #1703492] Mon, 03 August 2015 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having done a bit research by myself i must almost thank you for not reacting to my last message, Brian. Most stuff i asked was too easy to research myself after having had some time to reflect. I am rather regretful having asked in the first place.

I have not yet found out the definite cause of the described behaviour ... but i am now more sure that i posted in the wrong Subforum. (Guess it would better fit into equinox subforum, maybe someone could push it over?)

In the very fine Equinox landing page i also directly found the links to the corresponding git-repos. And when digging in this i found this bug ... which might or might not be a cause but shows me that this is the right direction. Found Bug

You are still correct about tycho! (Only in my current case your recommendation was like suggesting me to use a "new beetle" (because its engine is not as baroque) when i was asking for help with a '77ish Volkswagen Käfer) <-- very bad analogy, i apologize. But you hopefully get my point ... i understand where you are coming from, but as a first answer i was rather baffled ;-)

Cheers
Daniel

Re: vmargs are not picked up | 3.6-Targetplatform Product exported in 4.5 IDE (Mars) [message #1704925 is a reply to message #1703584] Mon, 10 August 2015 19:04 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Daniel.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear in that "product export" is based on PDE Build, which is baroque and hard to diagnose.

The bug you referenced was fixed before the public release of Mars/4.5, so unless you're running on a milestone release (not recommended now that 4.5 is released) then you shouldn't be encountering it. Besides, you're building against a 3.6 target so this code won't be incorporated.

But now that I reread what you wrote:
Quote:

- vm-args are configured in *.product - Launch Arguments
- launching via run/debug recognizes -vmargs
- exported products *.ini file has -vmargs in it
- launching exported product via [product].exe ignores -vmars in [product].ini

It has long been the case that specifying "-vmargs" causes the launcher to ignore all "-vmargs" specified in the .ini file. So what you're seeing is documented behaviour.

There is a new command-line argument "- -launcher.appendVmargs" (specified in the .ini file) that causes any -vmargs on the command-line to be appended to those specified in the .ini file. But that won't work in 3.6.

Brian.

Previous Topic:[JFace] context menu: accelerator of actions not working
Next Topic:Command/keyboard binding to jump between split editor panes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:54:19 GMT 2024