Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPP » "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter("Visit submission to provide more info" and then nowhere to enter this info...)
icon13.gif  "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703275] Thu, 30 July 2015 08:25 Go to next message
Davide Vecchi is currently offline Davide VecchiFriend
I get a lot of error reports in Mars, f.ex.

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.document.ElementImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.wst.xml.core.internal.provisional.document.IDOMNode

and the error reporter asks me to "visit the submission" and see if I can provide more info. I'd love to, but when I go to the submission page (with Firefox 39.0) I only see

"Thank you for reporting this incident. The following data has been recorded:"

and all the technical info of my submission. I cannot see anything to click, anywhere to type, no text mentioning that or anything even remotely similar to that. For the life of me I don't understand how is one supposed to "provide more information".

I'm certainly missing something obvious but still I'm not significantly below average IQ and neither are the few people who didn't get that either when I showed them, so I think this should have been made more clear for people who just wanted to help.
Re: "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703614 is a reply to message #1703275] Mon, 03 August 2015 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

> I'm not significantly below average IQ

LOL. It's for sure more my fault than yours. Can you share your submission url with me (by email to marcel.bruch@codetrails.com if you prefer to keep this secret)? The submission likely misses an additional text field or the link to bugzilla and I need to check why.

Thanks,
Marcel
Re: "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703619 is a reply to message #1703614] Mon, 03 August 2015 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your feedback. As soon as I get another one I
will post the link to the submission. Take into account that
this happens for any error, 100% of the times and from
different computers.
Re: "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703670 is a reply to message #1703619] Tue, 04 August 2015 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

David,

I made a small tweak to the submission page. It now contains little more information about related problems (a short message and status and a link to bugzilla if the problem is already tracked there). Please note that the access to bugzilla or problems may be restricted in case these reports contain sensitive information.

If you like to know more about the error reporting you may find these slides [1] helpful.

A minor note: in case you have other questions or problems please post them to the Eclipse Packaging Forum (see [2] for details). This forum is monitored by me. The newcomers forum is not and I found your post because someone else pointed me to it.

Thanks,
Marcel

[1] https://www.eclipsecon.org/france2015/sites/default/files/slides/2015-06%20-%20EclipseCon_0.pdf
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/EPP/Logging#Contact
Re: "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703819 is a reply to message #1703670] Wed, 05 August 2015 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, if a moderator sees this I hope they can move it to the right forum.

Today as soon as I got the first of those errors in Eclipse (see 1.png), I clicked "Send", got 2.png, clicked "Visit submission" and got 3.png (whose URL is https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/community/confess/#/about#%2Fincidents%2Fr6T060rPLnYP3DUw0pMGmo54EtPotaQBWhEM8ErOAI5qT8bGR8d2hWyEHUe2dDP4 ).

Then I got further errors and every time I tried to do the above it went the same way.

I hope this helps and if you would like more info you are welcome to ask, however if you look into this please do so at your own discretion, this is mostly FYI, I don't need further assistance.

Thanks
  • Attachment: 1.png
    (Size: 6.59KB, Downloaded 166 times)
  • Attachment: 2.png
    (Size: 5.91KB, Downloaded 177 times)
  • Attachment: 3.png
    (Size: 44.71KB, Downloaded 162 times)
Re: "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703908 is a reply to message #1703819] Wed, 05 August 2015 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Moving this to the EPP forum as requested by Davide.
Re: "Providing more information" to the Mars error reporter [message #1703966 is a reply to message #1703819] Thu, 06 August 2015 09:08 Go to previous message

The screenshots helped to fix the wrong url. Thanks Davide.
Previous Topic:Error reporting tool
Next Topic:[aeri] [server] Introducing server-side max-error-report-size limits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:45:10 GMT 2024