Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » System channels - standardising the UI
System channels - standardising the UI [message #1702857] Sun, 26 July 2015 11:49 Go to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Following on from the discussion about the battery system channel, I had expected that the system channel would be usable in a standard way by the UI. For example, by defining the "system.battery-level" channel, I expected that in the UI I would be able to detect all battery-level channels/items from all bindings, and display them consistently rather than having to know the different naming conventions that different binding have used.......

However, that doesn't seem to be the case. The channelType is not available to the UI - only the channelId is available. This means that in reality there is no standardisation from the UI perspective, which seems a shame. I could use the category (Battery) to provide this, but that's a very broad brush...

In my way of thinking, system channels are there so that they can be treated consistently throughout the system, but without some way of passing this to the UI, it seems quite limited?

Have I missed something somewhere? How is this intended to be used?

Chris
Re: System channels - standardising the UI [message #1703045 is a reply to message #1702857] Tue, 28 July 2015 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Very true what you are saying - there indeed seems to be something missing to make the system channels useful.
Two thoughts about this:
1. The channel types might become available through the /rest/things endpoint by introducing the ChannelTypeRegistry
2. On the item level, maybe the system channels would be a good start for an ESH tag library, E.g. a system channel could add the default tag "esh:battery-level" to linked items, so that you can easily query for all items, which have this meaning.
Re: System channels - standardising the UI [message #1706441 is a reply to message #1703045] Wed, 26 August 2015 20:18 Go to previous message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Quote:
However, that doesn't seem to be the case. The channelType is not available to the UI - only the channelId is available

Quote:
1. The channel types might become available through the /rest/things endpoint by introducing the ChannelTypeRegistry

I think we just have to extend the ChannelDefinitionDTO with either a typeUID or refactor the model to also have a ChannelTypeDTO.

Quote:
2. On the item level, maybe the system channels would be a good start for an ESH tag library, E.g. a system channel could add the default tag "esh:battery-level" to linked items, so that you can easily query for all items, which have this meaning

Yes, this would help to also have the information in the item domain.
Previous Topic:Timer threads
Next Topic:How to install PaperUI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:46:07 GMT 2024