Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Diagrams, stored inside or outside blocks, activities etc?
Diagrams, stored inside or outside blocks, activities etc? [message #1702251] Tue, 21 July 2015 05:06 Go to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
Haven't given this much thought previously, but since Papyrus appears to allow putting any diagram inside any "container", perhaps there is a purpose for this I haven't understood.

It appears that some are put inside per default (activity, state machine, internal block diagram) but not all, and they can be moved out of the element they describe.

So, is there a given purpose for this? My book don't give any hints, and other model structures I've seen makes be believe that it is either tool or methodology specific.

Regards,
Tomas Sandkvist
Re: Diagrams, stored inside or outside blocks, activities etc? [message #1705157 is a reply to message #1702251] Wed, 12 August 2015 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Tomas,

I would say it is methodology specific (whether a specific one or your own approach).

I'm not sure about the defaults, but I personally like being able to keep the model explorer "clean" with this capability. I keep "overview" diagrams (e.g., package, class, etc.) at the package level and internal diagrams (e.g., IBD/composite structure, owned behavior state machines, etc.) at the "classifier" level. I then make extensive use of hyperlinks to link those diagrams for navigability. I find this approach keeps the model navigable and the model explorer looks more sparse.

/Charles Rivet
Re: Diagrams, stored inside or outside blocks, activities etc? [message #1706635 is a reply to message #1705157] Fri, 28 August 2015 10:08 Go to previous message
Klaas Gadeyne is currently offline Klaas GadeyneFriend
Hi Tomas,

This is not (only) methodology specific. The specs do limit the 'entry points' where diagrams can be created (see fi. https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=472156#c0).

HTH,

Klaas
Previous Topic:animation model UML in Eclipse/Papyrus
Next Topic:Which CSS command to hide Compartments in Use Cases?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:07:11 GMT 2024