Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars(When I create a project of windowBuilder, Eclipse is stop)
Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1702087] Sun, 19 July 2015 11:05 Go to next message
FELIPE RODRIGUEZ is currently offline FELIPE RODRIGUEZFriend
Hi,
I have Eclipse Mars in Linux Mint. When I create a project java with jframe with design in WindowBuilder, the system crashed. For a time it works and then disappear view of structure components and eclipse crashes.

The output of terminal is in file terminal.txt

Sorry for my English
Re: Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1702826 is a reply to message #1702087] Sat, 25 July 2015 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Nixon is currently offline Mike NixonFriend
I have exactly the same problem.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 x64
Oracle Java 1.7
I was using Eclipse Juno previously, and Windowbuilder would often hang Eclipse.
Updated to Mars (x64) today, and now even with a simple frame, Windowbuilder crashes and hangs Eclipse completely. I have to kill it via the kill command.
Tried searching for updates, but no updates found
This is not good, folks!
Windowbuilder works just fine under Windows, but certainly not in Linux.
Please fix asap, or suggest a more stable GUI designer.
Unfortunately, I can't "Create Report" or "Reparse" as the whole app has hung.
  • Attachment: Drag3.java
    (Size: 1.13KB, Downloaded 359 times)
Re: Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1702829 is a reply to message #1702087] Sat, 25 July 2015 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Nixon is currently offline Mike NixonFriend
Further feedback:
I installed Oracle Java 8.
I also found that you need to run "sudo update-alternatives --config java" more than once to select the correct java jre. I also rebooted. The reason for the crashing was probably caused by some link pointing to OpenJDK instead of Oracle.

However, I have not resolved the invisible component tree issue as yet.
The tree nodes are shown, but no text next to them so you can't select a component on your design page here.
Re: Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1703246 is a reply to message #1702829] Wed, 29 July 2015 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FELIPE RODRIGUEZ is currently offline FELIPE RODRIGUEZFriend
Thanks Mike,
I run sudo update-alternatives --config java and I think that the crashed problem was resolved. But, I have not resolved the invisible component tree issue as yet.
Sad
Re: Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1703453 is a reply to message #1703246] Fri, 31 July 2015 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gerry hobbs is currently offline gerry hobbsFriend
No help will be coming. I have reported the same bug for RHEL 6 over six months ago. The developer will blame the window manager, then linux in general then say he does not have linux and thus cannot help you. WindowBuilder apears to use some feature that is not well implemented in the SWT GTK libraries. Everything else in linux works, the rest of eclipse works but not windowbuilder. No support is coming because, linux is after all the wild west of operating systems. I suggest, that if you can, switch to Netbeans and the always working GUI builder it has ( though I hate the appoach it takes ).

Eric Clayberg wrote on Tue, 23 December 2014 19:58
If it is appearing in multiple window managers, it is likely a problem with one of the updated OS libraries included with that update. A video driver bug could also be the cause and would affect multiple window managers as well. I doubt the problem lies in any Eclipse or SWT code as you stated it worked fine prior to the OS update. Something is disabling off screen rendering, so you are getting a blank image. I have seen "optimizations" like that done in Linux updates in the past and then seem them backed out in the very next update. Each new generation of developers hacking on Linux seems to introduce the same bug and then fix it later. I have seen this happen several times over the last ten years or so. Unfortunately, Linux is the Wild West of operating systems, and you are guaranteed virtually no forward, backward, or sideways (between distros) compatibility.
Re: Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1703458 is a reply to message #1703453] Fri, 31 July 2015 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gerry hobbs is currently offline gerry hobbsFriend
Here are some of the other topics about this problem:

Its not the window manager, i've tried several. Its not the graphics driver, we have several boxes using different cards and drivers from different companies.

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/847071/

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/905794/

Same types of non-answers. Linux Mint is (apparently ) just another flavor of linux which has this problem. I "solved" this problem by creating a virtualbox install from which I run a fedora linux version from within which WindowBuilder still works. This is a terrible work-around but it is marginally better than hand-coding the GUI.

The other work-around that the developer seems to wish on us is switching to Windows.
Re: Crashing WindowBuilder and I invisible structure in Eclipse Mars [message #1704025 is a reply to message #1702087] Thu, 06 August 2015 19:38 Go to previous message
Norberto Cintio is currently offline Norberto CintioFriend
Same behaviour in Ubuntu 12.04lts, eclipse mars, java 1.75.
- crash of the design editor if a layout different from 'separated tabs' choosen in preference panel
- Blank nodes component tree
- misalignment between component and its name in the graphical builder

because of the last two faults, trying to address a component in the GUI is very tricky...
Previous Topic:Internal error
Next Topic:SWT Installation Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:20:39 GMT 2024