Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Mars crashing with gc overhead limit problems and strange errors
Mars crashing with gc overhead limit problems and strange errors [message #1701689] Wed, 15 July 2015 04:26 Go to next message
Dave Brosius is currently offline Dave BrosiusFriend
linux mint 64
java 1.8.0_45-b14
eclipse mars
-Xmx3g

tried adding
-DtolerateIllegalAmbiguousVarargsInvocation=true

produces a bunch of these errors when compiling like

The method iterator() is ambiguous for the type SortedSet<Member>

on a line, with

Iterator<Member> i = members.iterator();

where SortedSet is the one from scala lib
import scala.collection.immutable.SortedSet;

It compiles 95%, then starts thrashing, and produces a terminate error with

An internal error occurred during: "Building workspace".
GC overhead limit exceeded

This code base was compiling easily in 1g of Xmx before.

Mars is just DOA it appears, and I see no way of figuring out what it's eating all this memory on.

i reinstalled eclipse, i deleted and redownloaded all the 3rdparty jars. I recreated my workspace, obviously cleaned the projects.

Code compiles just fine from the command line. (ant)

[Updated on: Wed, 15 July 2015 04:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mars crashing with gc overhead limit problems and strange errors [message #1701775 is a reply to message #1701689] Wed, 15 July 2015 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah! switching the global compiler compliance level in eclipse to 7 seems to have worked. At the moment i don't need 8 so i'm good i guess
Re: Mars crashing with gc overhead limit problems and strange errors [message #1701873 is a reply to message #1701775] Thu, 16 July 2015 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Regarding the compile error you might be seeing s.t. like https://bugs.eclipse.org/468276 which in a nutshell is about letting the Eclipse compiler for Java understand Scala libraries with signatures that would be illegal by the Java language rules.

I'm not sure if there is a connection from the compile error to the memory problems. If you have a reproducible example that shows an increase in memory consumption when switching from Java 7 to 8 this would be very helpful for analysing the situation and perhaps fixing some performance problem.
Re: Mars crashing with gc overhead limit problems and strange errors [message #1701937 is a reply to message #1701873] Thu, 16 July 2015 21:52 Go to previous message
Yes that bug certainly seems like what i'm hitting. WRT reproducing the memory issue, no i don't have a reproducible example, this is happening in a 30 project workspace with > 15K classes. When i try to do something in a small test case i don't see any memory issues. Thanks for pointing out the bug report, i'll keep an eye on it. Luckily for me the memory issues go away with java 7 compliance.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 July 2015 21:53]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Code formatter does not work like in Luna
Next Topic:Eclipse mars + buildship problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:50:40 GMT 2024