Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Papyrus for Real Time » First trials(Help for installation and basic usage)
First trials [message #1700590] Sat, 04 July 2015 07:46 Go to next message
Anantha Krishnan is currently offline Anantha KrishnanFriend
Hi,

I believe there is the first version of Papyrus-rt for download and trials. But I need help with correct installation and usage tips.

I installed eclipse-cpp-mars-RC3-win32 on my Win8 system, assuming any other needed pieces of Eclipse would be provided from Papyrus-rt.
I also downloaded eclipse_org-0.5.0.201507030403 from http://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/eclipse.org/papyrus-rt/builds/ and unzipped. I used this as a local repository to Help>Install New Software in the above Eclipse Mars.
This installed Papyrus-rt yes, but when I tried to create a Papyrus project, apply the UML-rt profile to the model, the menu item New Diagram did not proceed.

Of course I am messing things up in my hurry to get going with Papyrus-rt, and am missing basic steps and content that has to be downloaded/installed.

Could I be given tips as to the standard install of Papyrus-rt - on my Win8 Laptop pl.

Thanks and sorry for such basic queries.

Anantha Krishnan
Re: First trials [message #1700683 is a reply to message #1700590] Mon, 06 July 2015 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Anantha,

Note that the current version of Papyrus-RT is still under development. We are currently preparing a first, more formal 0.7 release by the end of July.

At this point, your first step should be to install Eclipse with Papyrus. You can follow the instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgKjzr2pXzI to accomplish this. I would recommend that you install the final Mars version of the tools.

Once Papyrus is installed, you will need to install some of the "Additional Components". To do this, click on the Papyrus icon in the toolbar (it looks like a green Ibis bird). From the dialog, select the "RealTime (Incubation)" Component and click [Finish].

Once this is done, you can get the Papyrus-RT specific components at http://download.eclipse.org/papyrus-rt/builds/nightly. As indicated previously, we do not currently have any formal releases and you must rely on the nightly builds for now.

Please be careful to _NOT_ install the "Papyrus-RT Protocol Editor" component, if shown. It is an older prototype that will cause problems with the new version already part of the "RealTime (Incubation)" Papyrus additional component.

Please let me know if you have any more question.

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1700709 is a reply to message #1700683] Mon, 06 July 2015 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles, Thanks very much for the instructions and information. Shall follow the steps and start working out...
Re: First trials [message #1700769 is a reply to message #1700709] Tue, 07 July 2015 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles,

Much appreciate help with simple model creation, codegen and test description - Hello World/Traffic Light?

Or even the model files so I can "reverse engineer" the modelling etc...

Thanks.
Re: First trials [message #1700876 is a reply to message #1700769] Tue, 07 July 2015 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Anantha,

I am working on a "Getting Started" tutorial for Papyrus-RT to be made available before the end of July. I am planning on using a simple "ping-pong" model to drive that tutorial.

The only sample model that is currently available is the "ComputerSystem" model I used at EclipseCon NA and EclipseCon France. We do not yet have the sample models available as part of the software distribution , but that model is available directly from the Papyrus-rt repository and you are free to get it from there. You can see the presentation from EclispseCon NA on YouTube. Not much modeling, but it could give you some hints.

TrafficLights, although fairly simple, is still a bit complex for a "Getting Started" exercise. I do have a version of that model that is almost complete. Once it is complete, I will make it available in the repository.

I hope this helps!

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1700899 is a reply to message #1700876] Wed, 08 July 2015 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the information.

The main points I am trying to get clear are fundamental Modelling and Codegen UI aspects.

How to create the Capsule and its State Machine, ports and protocols and their relationships, how to enter code, what about the RT Services ports and their usage etc. The list is long so discovering each of these is taking time.

Shall try the references you have mentioned, await the tutorial.

Thanks.

Anantha Krishnan
Re: First trials [message #1702088 is a reply to message #1700899] Sun, 19 July 2015 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

I have progressed to creating models with Capsules, Parts, Ports, State Machines with Timer driven transitions etc., codegen, build and execute successfully.

One clarification please-

How do we define Part/role as Fixed/Optional/Plug-in.

Also, the UML RealTime tab in Capsule/CapsulePart Properties View is blank-what could be the issue pl.

Thanks.

Anantha Krishnan
Re: First trials [message #1702100 is a reply to message #1702088] Sun, 19 July 2015 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Anantha,

A capsule part is fixed by default. You can change the kind of a capsule part by selecting the right properties, as follows.

A fixed capsule part has:

• Visibility: Protected
  • Aggregation: Composite
  • Multiplicity: fixed (e.g., "1")

An optional capsule part has:

• Aggregation: Composite
  • Multiplicity: zero-based range (e.g., "0..4")

You can also have mixed fixed / optional part by having using a fixed range: "2..4" indicates that first two slots are fixed and that the next 2 slots are optional.

An imported capsule part has:

• Aggregation: Shared
  • Multiplicity: zero-based range (e.g., "0..4")

We realise that, from a user experience, this is a bit complicated and will be working on improving the user interface to make this easier. That is the purpose of the UML RealTime tab, which will be filled with easier commands to properly and more easily set properties of UML RealTime elements.

I hope this helps.

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1702250 is a reply to message #1702100] Tue, 21 July 2015 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks David, that explains completely.

One small question - Connectors at present cannot be "drawn" in a Composite Diagram, they need to be defined under the Model RootElement in the browser?
Re: First trials [message #1702292 is a reply to message #1702250] Tue, 21 July 2015 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Anantha,

In UML-RT, which is currently the only DSML implemented in Papryrus-RT, connectors can only be drawn between ports on capsules (or capsule parts - I'll use just "capsule" to refer to both in the rest of this response). In UML-RT all communications between capsules must be accomplished through ports that are types by protocols, as shown in figure 1 of the project description. This link also provides basic information on the UML-RT approach.

Are you saying that you currently can not draw a connector between two ports on different capsules?

If you want to read more about UML-RT, I would recommend, at least until we create more documentation:

Note that you can also find sample and test models in the papyrus-rt git repository. We will be working on making the samples more readily available with upcoming releases.

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1702296 is a reply to message #1702292] Tue, 21 July 2015 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

I am aware of the concept behind connectors in UML-RT.

My observation is that I expected to select "Connector" from the pallette, click on a port on one capsule(part) in the Composite Diagram, then on the corresponding port(same protocol/base or conjugated role as needed0 on the second, and this would show in the Diagram as a line etc. But this does not happen, the tool does not allow clicking on the second port, the invalid icon shows.

What I find I have to do is that in the Model Explorer, I create a Connector from the UML RealTime context menu and then fill in the Capsule part and Port in the two Connector End Properties under the Connector.

Is this a problem with my installation or a bug or is this the current implementation status.
Re: First trials [message #1703160 is a reply to message #1702296] Wed, 29 July 2015 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

Wonder if you have an update for me.

Meanwhile, I find that in the downloads/updates from nightly builds, there are three examples under .../umlrts/test, rt-computer, rt-pingpong, and rt-ring. But I can find only (generated) C++ code there. I have studied these, especially rt-pingpong, and have been able to successfully model the incarnation etc. Where can I get the UML-RT/Papyrus-rt models pl.

Also, how do I get access to the Git repository and download samples etc. as you have suggested.

Thanks and sorry for the bother.

Anantha Krishnan.
Re: First trials [message #1704150 is a reply to message #1703160] Fri, 07 August 2015 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Anantha,

I'm sorry, I was on vacation.

I think you should submit this as a bug so that we can take a closer look at it. It should not behave that way.

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1706194 is a reply to message #1704150] Mon, 24 August 2015 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Charles, I shall submit a bug after verifying the point I have noted.

Meanwhile, how do I access the Git repository and download the UML-RT models of the samples.

Thanks.

Anantha Krishnan
Re: First trials [message #1707009 is a reply to message #1706194] Tue, 01 September 2015 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Anantha,

Sorry it took so long.

We now have installation guides on the Papyrus for Real Time wiki for both users and developers.

There is also a draft "Getting Started with Papyrus for Real Time" document available, which will also be posted on the wiki when the release is done (this week...).

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1707873 is a reply to message #1707009] Thu, 10 September 2015 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Charles.

Shall go ahead and inform any needed points.

Anantha Krishnan.
Re: First trials [message #1708009 is a reply to message #1707873] Fri, 11 September 2015 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reference to the Draft Getting Started document. That clarifies several points of actual modelling usage. The problems I had mentioned with Connectors have also vanished, and I could follow the write-up almost all the way.

Just a couple of points I found, which the team may know already, but maybe help in further work

1. For the Build to happen after the codegen, I have found I have to run make for librts.a at the .../umlrts location. Else the g++ complains the the existing library(of the install) is incompatible.

2. The MakefileTop.mk file seems to have an error that for "clean" it does rm main, while the build creates TopMain executable.

3. I can build and run from the Eclipse tool, too, but I find I need to set the Properties>...build folder to have /src at end.

Thanks.

P.J.Anantha Krishnan
Re: First trials [message #1708010 is a reply to message #1708009] Fri, 11 September 2015 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, also
4. The messages from the run given in the document do not match the actual text entry given.
Re: First trials [message #1708046 is a reply to message #1708010] Fri, 11 September 2015 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Anantha,

I have just published the official version of the Getting Started tutorial on the Papyrus for Real Time wiki (see other topic).

Hopefully, it will have fixed some of the problems you listed. If you find other issued with either the tool or the documentation, please let me know and/or submit bugs.

Thanks!

/Charles Rivet
Re: First trials [message #1708067 is a reply to message #1708046] Sat, 12 September 2015 06:46 Go to previous message
OK Charles,

Thanks and good going.

I shall possibly update the Papyrus-RT tool, go thru the Getting Started again. Shall send in any significant points I find.

Anantha Krishnan.
Previous Topic:Papyrus for Real Time v 0.7.0 has been released!
Next Topic:New, simpler installation procedure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:48:23 GMT 2024