Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Grouping breakpoints and bookmarks under separate categories.(Is it possible to create breakpoint sets and bookmark sets in order to simultaneously operate on all the set members ?)
icon5.gif  Grouping breakpoints and bookmarks under separate categories. [message #1699731] Fri, 26 June 2015 08:44 Go to next message
Davide Vecchi is currently offline Davide VecchiFriend
I would find it extremely useful if I could group some of my breakpoints based on the functionality they are supposed to help debug. I think this feature would significantly enhance productivity in many cases.

F.ex. I would have breakpoints in db-access-related classes which would be great to disable / enable simultaneously without affecting the status of other breakpoints found f.ex. in GUI-related classes or in exception handlers, which I could group together as well under another category.

The same would go for bookmarks, just to be able to remove or retrieve a category of bookmarks instead of either removing / retrieving all of them or going through them all one-by-one (however for me the usefulness of this feature on breakpoints would be much greater than on bookmarks).

Does such a feature already exist in Eclipse or in some plugin ?
Re: Grouping breakpoints and bookmarks under separate categories. [message #1699808 is a reply to message #1699731] Fri, 26 June 2015 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It does. Check the Breakpoints View's local menu for grouping options. FYI, they'll work better if your code is cleanly organized.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Grouping breakpoints and bookmarks under separate categories. [message #1699813 is a reply to message #1699808] Fri, 26 June 2015 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Argh, I should have checked that menu before posting, my apologies. I had looked at it long ago and I had got the impression that one could only group breakpoints by predefined sets, like by project or by file, or by working set which I had assumed it meant my Package Explorer working sets so I didn't investigate.

I assume there is no grouping for bookmarks, however the breakpoints are more important for me and now I know I can create breakpoint working sets.

Thanks.
Re: Grouping breakpoints and bookmarks under separate categories. [message #1751441 is a reply to message #1699813] Tue, 10 January 2017 12:25 Go to previous message
I finally got to do this (with Neon.2) and I want to share a few details because they might save time to someone and also because although I believe this is the optimal way to do that, I'm not 100% sure.

The result I got, which is satisfactory to me, is that I can define breakpoint groups and operate on a group as a whole. This happens using the grouping functionality mentioned by Nitin Dahyabhai above.

However, the "Group by" entry in the Breakpoints View's local menu only has predefined groups (group by project, by file, by working set etc.) and no user-defined groups are possible.

So, before defining the groups, I defined several Breakpoint Working Sets (not Project Working Sets from Package Explorer), by selecting "Working Sets" in the Breakpoints View's local menu, then "New".

Once my Breakpoint Working Sets are created, in the local menu I select "Group By", "Breakpoint Working Sets" and my Breakpoint View shows all my breakpoints grouped by Working Set so I can enable / disable / remove etc. all the breakpoints of a group by clicking its group checkbox or right-clicking its group name.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 January 2017 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:help please
Next Topic:Eclipse Kepler crashing (Altera's Nios II plugin) (Quartus II 15.0)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:27:27 GMT 2024