Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Hangs(Eclipse Hangs on launch)
Eclipse Hangs [message #1698327] Sat, 13 June 2015 20:33 Go to next message
Peter Carlson is currently offline Peter CarlsonFriend
Eclipse is hanging at various stages when I launch. It always gets to the prompt of workspace dialog. After that sometimes it hangs immediately, sometimes it hangs on org...theme, sometimes it hangs on org...swt, sometimes it loads the main workspace window (consuming about 1/3rd x 1/3rd of my screen) and just stays grey, sometimes it loads the workspace window, maximizes, loads the toolbar and nothing else. Always it takes one of my 8 cores to 100%.

Afterwards, opening a new window, takes forever. I can switch to email, but I can change to a new email. I can switch to the browser, but I cant switch tabs. I can switch to my terminal, but I cant open a new terminal. Recovery is only by killing the java process at which point I can operate my system normally again.

I have tried Kepler, Luna and Mars. Same result.
I have tried clearing the workspace/.metadata/.plugins folder
I have removed all traces of eclipse and re-installed
I have tried installing eclipse for only myself (under my home directory)
I have tried openjdk7 and 8 as well as oracle jdk 7 and 8
I have tried adding --launcher.GTK_version 2 to eclipse.ini
I have tried launching eclipse using a script with export SWT_GTK3=0
I have tried using NVIDIA drivers and nouveau, no change
I have tried the standard adwaita theme as well as other themes

I have been running eclipse for quite some time on my desktop (kepler and earier versions) and I run luna on my laptop which is the same OS install, not sure what broke my desktop nor why it still runs on my laptop

OS is ubuntu 15.04, Gnome 3.14.4

Please Help!!!! I have been unable to work for 3 days while I have been troubleshooting and trying every possible thing I found on the forums.

Edit: I just finished a re-install of the OS and my applications. Re-installed mars using the installer, added CDT, subversion, JasperReports...Powered down the system so I could move my cables around and on power up, it stopped working again.
  • Attachment: eclipse.ini
    (Size: 0.50KB, Downloaded 107 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse.sh
    (Size: 0.10KB, Downloaded 97 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse.log
    (Size: 2.35KB, Downloaded 103 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 14 June 2015 22:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Hangs [message #1698430 is a reply to message #1698327] Mon, 15 June 2015 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vishwanath Kadapa is currently offline Vishwanath KadapaFriend
Try installing "Optimiser For Eclipse" Plugin. It'll apply best settings to the eclipse. It might help you.
Re: Eclipse Hangs [message #1698446 is a reply to message #1698430] Mon, 15 June 2015 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Is this always using the same workspace? Have you tried creating a brand new workspace to see if Eclipse will start up successfully using that? If so, you can easily import your projects from the old (corrupt) one into the new one.
Re: Eclipse Hangs [message #1698447 is a reply to message #1698446] Mon, 15 June 2015 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is NOT always the same workspace, in fact it happens on a clean install with a virgin workspace
Re: Eclipse Hangs [message #1698658 is a reply to message #1698430] Wed, 17 June 2015 04:41 Go to previous message
kind of tough to install optimiser....eclipse wont ever launch to a running state
Previous Topic:Eclipse Help
Next Topic:Eclipse Refuses to Run File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:01:30 GMT 2024